what free AND LIGHT personal firewall?

Hello, I'm looking for a *free* and *light* personal firewall, to use it on my acer aspireone (with windows xp home) On my desktop PC I used Comodo firewall, but it seems to me a little bit heavy for a netbook, I don't want to slow it down too much... ZoneAlarm? Outpost?

Thank you!

Reply to
Elric di Melnibone'
Loading thread data ...

Just use the Windows-Firewall.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Thanks, but..if I want another firewall? :-S

Reply to
Elric di Melnibone'

Reconsider?

Reply to
Todd H.

Why would you want that?

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

If you insist on using a 3rd party firewall try Online Armor from Tallemu.

Reply to
Joan Archer

Online Armor isn't really lightweight. If you feel you must have something beyond the Windows firewall, try the last freeware version of Tiny Personal Firewall.

Reply to
G

Snakeoil #1

Reply to
Kayman

Snakeoil #2

Reply to
Kayman

Try Sygate Personal Firewall.

formatting link

Reply to
Casey

If you want to entrust your security to outdated, unsupported software. Otherwise don't.

cu

59cobalt
Reply to
Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers

unsupported software.

Sygate, allthough old is still a very good firewall. It has all the necessary compontnts needed in a good firewall---none have been lost with age. There is nothing to keep updated such as anti virus/trojan signatures. Casey

Reply to
Casey

It is also still outdated and unsupported, and has thus no place whatsoever in any reasonable security concept.

Because the program is guaranteed to never have any exploitable bug anymore. Particularly not in relation to its well-known design flaws. Yeah, right.

But I've already explained that to you time and again.

cu

59cobalt
Reply to

It's crap.

Which one do you mean?

That it installs a sysem service which opens windows, making shatter attacks possible?

Or that it's completely useless with it's "outbound filtering", because one can trick it in minutes?

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

ZoneAlarm threatFire Kaspersky Firewall

formatting link

Reply to
dfinc

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

cu

59cobalt
Reply to

I would recommend against ThreatFire. The program installs a keyboard hook that remains after removing the program. In many cases, it leads to a non-functional keyboard after uninstalling ThreatFire. It requires a manual registry edit to get your keyboard back. They have been aware of this problem since 2007, but have yet to correct it.

Reply to
G

Snakeoil #3

Snakeoil #4

Snakeoil #5

Reply to
Kayman

just out of curiousity (sorry for the spelling) how exactly: renaming executables to allowed executable names, surf by IP, ...

Reply to
goarilla

I wrote POC code some time ago; you can find the source on

formatting link
and
formatting link
Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.