What are these UDP packets?

Getting tons of UDP packets incoming on a wifi connection all to the same port. Coming at about 1 sec. intervals but only from one AP.

When I choose another AP, I do not get them.

Also getting regular ICMP packets, every 10 secs or so, from same AP. When I block these, I cannot get response to post/http operation to web pages. What are they?

Reply to
Liz
Loading thread data ...

On 02/24/2009 12:25 PM, Liz sent:

Please tell us the port number.

Hello Liz:

UDP:

ICMP:

These could be as innocent as a ping to see if you are still there.

Do make sure that your computer is up to date with patches.

Also make sure that you are using good up to date antimalware practices.

Depending on what your computer's OS is, some will have you invest your time in the installation and setup of an independent firewall. Others may insist that a Windows firewall is more than adequate.

Are the AP's in question public such as in a Starbucks, public library, school, etc?

Pete

Reply to
1PW
1PW wrote in news:go1mni$ohj$ snipped-for-privacy@news.motzarella.org:

Port number is not a usual service port and is between 1800 and 2100, same port at one second intervals.

As I said in the OP, this does not occur with other wifi APs, so it is most likely not malware on my computer. Possibly network malware? AFAIK, this is on a public AP.

Don't really know, all I know is everyone in the neighborhood connects to it and it is not running any WEP or WPA. This is probably a free public company AP considering the signal strength. The UDP packets are my main concern, not because they are causing any problems but I don't like my puny computer having to devote resources to sending them to the trash and/or logging them.

Reply to
LizL

On 02/24/2009 04:46 PM, LizL sent:

When you have a chance please reply to this thread with the UDP port number.

Thank you.

Pete

Reply to
1PW
1PW wrote in news:go25d6$duo$ snipped-for-privacy@news.motzarella.org:

ok, port 1900

Reply to
LizL

On 02/25/2009 04:38 PM, LizL sent:

Reply to
1PW

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.