VPN vs. VPN Tunnel

Newbie technology question: Is there a difference between just having a VPN, vs having a VPN tunnel? Or on the other hand, is the case that, in fact, when you create a VPN, there is inherently a VPN tunnel between the nodes of the VPN network?

Thanks, Phoenix

Reply to
Phoenix8172
Loading thread data ...

VPNs don't have to be tunnels. For example, even an 802.1Q VLAN all the way through between the two endpoints is effectively a VPN.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Yes.

A VPN you can have by just translating network addresses. It even can be encrypted by encrypting payload only.

Of course, I don't think that other technics than fully encrypting tunneled packets are of any worth by means of security.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Okay, thank you for the reply. Then, can you also explain, what is the extra feature of the "VPN tunnel", as opposed to just having a VPN? Does it offer extra security?

BTW, it may seem I'm taking the lazy way out here, but I searched online, and could not find a document that clearly distinguished between VPN and VPN tunnel. If someone can guide me to a Web site, .pdf, ppt, etc. that summarizes the difference, I'd be very grateful.

Phoenix

Walter Robers> > >Newbie technology question: Is there a difference between just having

Reply to
Phoenix8172

This may help

formatting link
Bob S.

Reply to
BobS

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.