Verizon Droid Hotspot

> It turns out that newer models of the Droid have their own

>> built-in WiFi hotspot, so if their workplace is using WiFi >> for their networks, one could simply change their workplace >> PC over to use the hotspot in the Droid. All you have to do is >> keep the Droid in their pocket, while its turned on, and >> they can surf where they want to. >> >> Since Verizon is carrying the traffic, and NOT the office >> LAN, nothing will ever show up in the company network logs. >> >> It looks like Verizon has effetively rendered all filtering >> software useless. As long as you can get a cellular signal, >> you can use your Droid's hotspot feature, and no record >> will ever show up in the company logs. >> > > If the company you work for has failed to properly secure your computers > (company resources), while you might be able to do this, you would still > be in violation of most company policies and be subject to discipline. > > Your suggested change is easy to detect, the connect/disconnect from the > network will show up in the logs.

On the TV side of things we block US IP addresses, beucase movie/TV copyrights are far more complicated in the USA than elsehwere, and we also block proxies, becuase some people were using proxies to circumvent the country filter.

Given the times of day, I would bet that it was someone from work in America tuning in to our "Night Komfort" all night movie marathon. 11PM in eastern Australia is 9AM on the US East coast this time of year. We use BeeThink to block known proxies from accessing the TV stream.

The people that were using VPNs to circumvent the country filters not only made it harder for us to detect, but their employers would also not know what they were up to, as the traffic out of the office would be encrypted, and the boss would have no clue that someone was watching an online movie broadcast. Untill we installed BeeThink to block known proxies and VPNs from the TV stream, we did get quite a bit of VPN usage during the American workday, so there were people watching online movies, and the boss would have never known what was going on, with the encrypted traffic going out of the office to the VPNs in China or Singapore. All anyone would ever know is that an heavily encrypted stream coming from China or Singapore. They would know that an encrypted stream, at 340K, was being received, and that would have been it.

One thing about BeeThink, is that I think it could catch on in more shops. BeeThink can do a lot of things that hardware firewalls cannot so. You can get updated lists of known proxies, including VPNs and "web proxies", that are harder to detect. BeeThink can even do whitelising, which you have talked about, which a hardware firewall cannot do.

With BeeThink, you just change the mode to whitelist, and add the IP ranges you want to allow access to. That is something your hardware firewalls have not learned yet. It surprises me that more shops dont use BeeThink.

Reply to
Nomen Nescio
Loading thread data ...

VPN's are very easy to spot in the firewalls, and if a person is using one that doesn't have permission - well, you get the idea.

You also need to consider that the source IP and destination IP are visible in any firewall.

Reply to
Leythos

Another problem is these new anonymity/privacy services online now that are capable of extreme encryption and that do not use normal VPN. One such "darknet" where they use their own prorietary encryption scheme must be giving network administrators fits, becuase of the 2048-bit scheme that is proprietary and, therefore, cannot be intercepted with man in the middle attacks.

Reply to
Nomen Nescio

Nomen Nescio wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@dizum.com:

You know nothing of intelligence gathering, do you? I'm no expert, but I've read a few book on cryptography. It's an interest of mine.

The very fact that an encrypted communication is taking place *IS* information.

You cannot hide the fact that communication is taking place, even if you cannot break the encryption.

In the context of network administration, finding encrypted communication on the network WILL attract attention. The admin doesn't need to know what it is. They WILL know it's happening and WILL know which computer it's coming from/ going to.

THAT is something you seem to be unable to get through your thick assed skull.

Even *I* know this and I only have a lowly home network.

Brian

Reply to
Skywise

You seem to be missing something - we (security people) don't need to know what is in the tunnel/vpn, all we need to know is that there is a tunnel and it's not approved - easy to spot in seconds.

Reply to
Leythos

I think he's the old CHILLY idiot that use to brag about people listening to his show and watching the Olympics and that no admin could block him or detect it from their work networks....

Reply to
Leythos

Leythos wrote in news:MPG.26d9581c674bcd7b989695 @us.news.astraweb.com:

I dind't think anyone doubted it was him.

Brian

Reply to
Skywise

Leythos wrote in news:MPG.26d9581c674bcd7b989695 @us.news.astraweb.com:

I dind't think anyone doubted it was him.

Brian

Reply to
Skywise

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.