Using VPN (PPTP) behind Windows XP Firewall

Hi

I'm trying to set up incoming VPN connections on an XP Pro Machine.

I have it all working with the XP firewall disabled, but not with it enabled...

I have opened port 1723/tcp but how do I open IP port 47 ie GRE protocal?

Thanks for any help

Dave

Reply to
google
Loading thread data ...

According to Microsoft you don't have to open IP protocol (not port) 47:

"Any PPTP traffic that uses a GRE header to encapsulate Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP) frames will pass directly through Windows Firewall. Non-PPTP traffic that uses GRE is filtered by Windows Firewall."

formatting link
So either Microsoft is mistaken, or your traffic doesn't look like PPTP to Windows Firewall - or perhaps Windows Firewall behaves differently on Server 2003 vs. XP Pro, but if so I can't find the equivalent documentation for XP.

Triffid

Reply to
Triffid

This is not port 47, but protocol 47 of the transport layer. If you don't understand the difference, please don't offer services to the Internet at all, but first learn much more about networking in general and about the TCP/IP network protocol family.

A good starting point would be "TCP/IP" from Craig Hunt, or at least:

formatting link
as well as reading RFC 791, 792, 1701, 1702 and 2784 on
formatting link

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

The OP says it works until he turns on Windows Firewall, so he suspects Windows Firewall is the problem (you snipped that part).

Are you saying his PPTP traffic may have been mangled by a NAT appliance such that Windows Firewall doesn't recognise it as PPTP?

Triffid

Reply to
Triffid

formatting link

Many cheap NAT devices don't properly handle PPTP inbound, some don't properly handle it outbound.

If you want to PPTP inbound to a device behind a NAT appliance, there is a workaround where you Forward PORT 47 inbound the the VPN device. Yea, it isn't pretty, but that's how Linksys and others get around their broken PPTP firmware.

Reply to
Leythos

No, I did miss the Windows Firewall part - and it's the NAT appliances the mangles GRE that I was addressing.

Reply to
Leythos

Thanks for your replies....

XP firewall must operate differently to 2k3 Server.... I actually have a VPN running on a 2K3 server machine without any problems - didn't even need to make any exceptions for the firewall....

I've actually read some MS documentation that actually states - to use the vpn of xp, you have to disable the firewall - how stupid is that!!

So I think my plan now, is to experiment with third party firewalls - preferably free ones... Anyone got any experience on this front?

Gonna try ZoneAlarm first.....

Cheers

Reply to
google

Just for anyone that wants to know - the way I got round this was to install Norton Personal Firewall 2006 and put the remote IP address in the trusted zone.

Theres only one remote user and they are on a fixed IP, so this soltion works, but MS really should make their firewall work with their own software!

Reply to
google

Long version

formatting link

Short version.

formatting link
It doesn't appear to be that difficult.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.