Using Router as Switch?

I have a cable modem coming in, and switches and hubs coming off that to form a network. I got a Linksys WRK54G broadband router to hook up computers wirelessly to the network just for internet. However, I have

1 computer I need to hookup to the main network through the LAN ports. I tried DMZ'ing the ip of my computer so that it could still show up in the same workgroup as the other computers, but it didn't work. I've opened up port 445 - what do I need to do to get something plugged into one port on the main network?
Reply to
optimatravel
Loading thread data ...

So your trying to attach the new computer to the existing network using the router?

Stupid question -> Is it a Windows network? and have you attempted using the Windows network connection wizard to attach the computer to the network?

This is the connection you use between your Modem and your network?

Does this mean that your connecting the Computer up to the network through the Lan ports on the computer or your connecting the computer through the lan ports on the router?

-------------------------------------------------------------

This is what I suggest: (Windows Network specific)

Look at your current network setup, do you assign the IP addresses or does your router do that with DHCP?

If your network assigns the address what you need to do is probably go in and setup your network connection settings (TCP/IP) properties and make it so that the connection will get the Address from the DHCP - assigned addressing, also do this for the DNS settings at the bottom of the little window that comes up.

After you do this, your Nic (Network interface card) should have all the information that it needs to have the address assigned to it.

I would check the settings on the router to make sure that it can handle from what it sounds like numerous connections you have going to the modem.

Once you have figured out the settings for the Nic connection (LAN port on your computer) that networking Wizard should set you up... it will allow you to connect to the proper workgroup with your computer, or at least allow you to see the network your attempting to connect too.

~just as a safety net for me - the things I suggested are merely suggestions, they may be incorrect for the environment your working in, and if some of the settings are configured incorrectly this may cause damage, use these things at your own risk... and best of luck ;) ~

demon

Reply to
Demon77

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:1116389007.878431.219520 @o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

I have not figured out what you're trying to do here. Just what is it that you're trying to do?

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Thanks for the suggestions - I'll try it once I get back to it. Sorry for the lack of specificity - but I think I kinda got it figured out.

Reply to
optimatravel

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.