Trace stolen or lost laptops....

Some of you who have laptops will surely be worried about the surge in the theft of laptops. Even I was wondering on the technologies that could track stolen laptops and computing devices. Some of the things I could think of were =96 GPS dots (like in Hollywood movies), IMEI numbers as found in Mobiles or stealth softwares that would send the owner some email blah blah=85 .

All of a sudden, tracking and recovery of stolen laptops seem to have caught the attention of companies. Quite a few companies like HP, Computrace have lined up solutions in this space. Although, the effectiveness and consistency of these are yet to be proven, some of the technologies look very impressive but most of them seem have dependency on connection to internet. I am yet to see something listed above on the lines of Hollywood movies :) I have just put some that I felt are interesting, Read more:

formatting link
Prasanna

Reply to
prax
Loading thread data ...

X-No-Archive: Yes

On problem with GPS is that it can be jammed. You can buy GPS jammers as cheap as $200.

Reply to
Chilly8

Chilly8 wrote, On 19/06/08 20:21:

Or probable make one for less than $20 if it is only jamming the public signals.

Anyway, it isn't the GPS you have to worry about it is whatever method that is used for transmitting the positional information. If you are receiving the signal then it *can* be tracked down even if the signal has absolutely no positional information.

Reply to
Flash Gordon

There are jammers that can take of that, but they are much more expensive. There are dual GPS/GMRS jammers, which totally cut off the tracking device from whomever is trying to track you. These devices jam both GPS position information, and jam the GMRS frequencies that the devices use to report information back to the monitoring center.

This is why I am against probationers, or those awaiting trial, wearing GPS ankle braclets. The dual GPS/GMRS jammers can prevent the device from not only getting positional information, but also cut it off from the monitoring station.

Reply to
Chilly8

As you probably know, we support the use of things like GPS jammers, proxies, and the like.

And such things can come in handy. After the cyclone in Myanmar I went there and did reports on my online radio station, but used an encrypted VPN connection, so the authorities in Mymanmar would NEVER know what I was up to. They would know I was making a heavily encrypted outbound connection, but they would never know that there was yet another reporter reporting illegally (the Junta does not like reporters very much). Since I was using an encrypted VPN connection to my servers, the Junta would have NEVER been able to find out what I was up to. Since there is one upscale tourist resort only about 1 hour's drive from where much of the destruction was, so it was not hard to bluff my way in, by getting a

7-day tourist permit. As long as I left before the permit expired, which I did, there was no problem. With the connection encrypted, there was no POSSIBLE way for the ruling Military Junta to find out what I was up to.
Reply to
Alpha Crucis Webmaster

Hi,

Except for listening in on you recording your news in the hotelroom with the bug behind the curtain...

Cheers, Jens

Reply to
Jens Hoffmann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.