Thoughts about restricting outgoing communication

The more I think about this issue I am convinced it can be done and encourage comments about why it can not be done.

First I admit it would require intimate knowledge of TCP/IP communication protocols; especially at a lower level.

Second, signivicant increases in software and hence hardware resources would be required.

Lastly, total knowledge of the operating system (especially Vista, but even Windows) and its corresponding drivers and wrappers. It also would require total knowledge of layered software applications. Some of which may have to be customized per application.

Now what reasons are individuals trying to accomplish these limitations? I suspect they are at a minimum:

1. Malicous software
  2. Privacy issues - I bought it but do not feel I give suppliers/corporations the right to transmit unauthorized data/information.
  3. I have a right to know what is transmitted
  4. It may be cracked software attempting to call home (This is the one nobody likes to say out loud)

Ok, let the comments come and of course Sebastian will have plenty of criticism as well.

Reply to
Let's Think About This
Loading thread data ...

And that's where you're doomed to fail. There are various unauthenticated IPC protocols in Windows that allow you to 'remote' control any other application.

See above: you lost.

That's identical to #1.

Well, that's a job for WireShark. No need for any HBPF. At any rate, you know what encryption is?

That's identical to #1 and #3.

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

Predictable grandstanding from someone who spends the bulk of their time consuming bandwidth with his dribble. It's one thing to have knowledge and another to know when and how to use it.

And here's a surprise; I d>Let's Th>

Reply to
Harry Ipema

Sure it can be done. It just can't be done without seriously breaking Windows in its current state. You'd have to re-design the entire windowing system and remove all the legacy options to remotely control other software (e.g. DDE and OLE).

Inspecting network traffic has several problems:

- You have to deal with *many* different protocols.

- You have to deal with protocol encapsulation.

- You have to deal with encryption.

- You have to deal with steganography.

You'd have to proxy every single application layer protocol, which will make your filter very complex and thus very likely to have bugs.

Most definitely. Which leads to the question: why would one want to waste significant amounts of the system's resources on controlling applications you don't trust instead of just not running applications you don't trust?

Knowledge alone is not enough. You'd need to change the way the windowing system works and remove lots of legacy code. Which would probably be a re-write.

The question is not whether these are valid reasons or not, but whether it's possible to achieve the desired effect without having to waste system resources on controlling software.

1. The best way to deal with malicious software is - of course - not to run it in the first place. Software Restriction Policies, disabling autoruns and AV software help with that. => no real need for outbound control
  2. If the vendor of the software isn't trustworthy: why do you give him money and use his software in the first place? Am I really the only one considering this a rather stupid thing to do? Besides, most software that is said to be "phoning home" can simply be configured to not "phone home", because all it does is checking for updates (which is a good thing to do, as it helps mitigating risks). => no real need for outbound control either
  3. True. However, are you capable of understanding what's transmitted? If you are, then a communication log can be a useful thing. However, most users of personal firewalls aren't capable of understanding what is transmitted (which is why the use a personal firewall in the first place), so they can't make any sensible decision based on the information in the communication log. Plus, the logs of personal firewalls tend to be rather incomplete, to say the least. There are ways (TCPView/netstat, Wireshark, Port Reporter) to achieve this effect without (or at least with less of) the usual downsides of personal firewalls. => no need for outbound control, though it may be helpful to the initiate (if implemented in a sensible way)
  4. Well, buy the software you're using. Period. Problem solved. => no reason at all for outbound control

cu

59cobalt
Reply to
Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers

snip.... of which may have to be customized per application.

snip... >

1. It may be cracked software attempting to call home (This is the one

snip...

I have been looking for ways to prevent my '_legitimate'_ software from phoning home on my new HP DV8310 laptop. Cracked software be damned...If i use cracked software I expect to take what comes but when i purchase a preloaded computer and the manuf steals my connection to mine my data from 135 'trusted apps..... Sheesh, I think i am ranting! Can I play of i promise to get along? Miffed PS, Sebastien has been helping me as we parry and thrust thru the other forums.

Reply to
warf

snip.......

I agree with many of your points, a few I don't like "buy trusted software". MS was trusted once...this is a long long long topic best suited for drunken diatribes.

Is it any better to adopt the newer lowcost [or free] virtual environments and circumvent the majority of unsolvable subtrifuges inherent in MS OSs? By adopting i mean 'sandboxing' so as to get the flexibility and hardware benefits of say MS-XP, but retain the ultimate control over what gets out of the box? EG; XP within Redhat?

OR:Win95lite within redhat? you'd lose the 'hardware' advantage but gain a less complex kernel environment no? Cripes, i still have my DOS3.1 diskettes and my BASIC files....and that 8088 in the corner.... Ok. I digressed.

Miffed

Reply to
warf

Where exactly are the hardware benefits over virtualized hardware? And when you let it access the real hardware, you don't retain control.

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

I am promulgating not from a well established perspective with programming savvy...I postulate based solely on the limited knowledge I am acquiring as i evolve into a geek and dissolve my physical social contact in favor of the virtual environs whereof i speak..ah, type to this seemingly inteligent and interactive newsbot.

That said [tongue in cheek in case it be taken flamingly], I tried going the Redhat route many years ago and found that the hardware support was far outstripped by the software advantage. The advantage i was referring to was the availability of intel based hardware, peripherals and drivers on the discount and freeware market vs...what may be a misconception as to the Linux hardware support these days.

Is this not an issue then? And are the security claims of Virt-OS not as tight as I imagined? I imagined that any calls to the kernel were made indirectly via the virtOS and could be metered or redirected much the same way a rootkit would do without our consent??? Miffy.

Reply to
warf

I said "don't use software you don't trust" and "pay for the stuff you use if the vendor doesn't give it for free". That's not the same as "buy trusted software". Not even remotely.

There isn't really much to be said about that. If you don't trust a vendor: don't use their software. Period. Whether you do or don't want to trust someone is entirely up to you.

To achieve what?

You can use virtualization to control what's going in and coming out of the box, yes. However, that doesn't give you any more control about what's going on *inside* the box. Thus a sandbox may or may not help solving your problem, depending on your actual requirements.

I haven't used it, so I can't comment on it. However, I doubt I'd feel very comfortable using something that has "win95" in its name.

cu

59cobalt
Reply to

snip...>

K, that's clear as ascii now.

snip..

To have a modicum of control over the data leaving ones' computer whilst connected to the 'world'. Please understand I am actually looking for your advice...

Ok; seems onerous to simply have the house keys in 'my' pocket without the 3rd degree in comp-Sci and youthful exuberance. I suspect that I will really only ever be able to keep my data from casual abuse...concerted and persistent parties will always prevail and I s'pose my data is not so valuable that I should care...beyond the illusion I have autonomy.....?

Sure, i was thinking only from a small[er] footprint, lower obfuscation sophistication, well revealed known exploit potential, time proven unworthiness[i jest, kind of]...since knowing the vulnerabilities is as important as assuming tech~ superiority no? I thought it is easier for a late [slow] starter in inet security/privacy with a desire [like me] to understand a small[er] kernel stripped of the foliage [OE,IE] to control the workings at a lower level than the overwhelming layered and linked system that is XP and...HP. perhaps that is a new thread? warf.

Reply to
warf

If you're "sandboxing" an entire operating environment instead of single processes it won't give you any more control than proxying/inspecting the traffic on a router. You'd still have to deal with the problems I lined out in my initial post.

Yes. No. Maybe. Whatever. 42.

I can't give you a simple answer to a question that broad.

It depends on what you are actually trying to achieve. A small footprint usually is a good thing, because it means fewer bugs. However, Win9x does not have user separation, which may or may not rule it out as a solution, depending on your problem.

I don't think that something like win95lite is really going to help with that. I'd say the first thing you need to understand is the fundamentals of operating systems (kernel, processes, memory management, files, filesystems, ...) and networks (Ethernet, TCP/IP, ports, sockets, OSI- layers, major application layer protocols, ...). That's the basis for making any even halfway educated decision security-wise. IMHO.

Perhaps.

cu

59cobalt
Reply to

snip...

I'm getting right on it....next week I'll have a few questions [grin.....sigh]

Maybe it would be more practicle to put that effort into Linux? Seriously, I am led to believe many programmers are sloppy because 'they' don;t understand anything but GUI level programming...which means bloated code and vulnerabilities due to the shear number of routines and ???

I am ashamed to say I got a few A's in the few elective courses I took en-route to my MSc chem....shoulda coulda woulda. Maybe I can sue my profs for allowing me to move on in ignorance!

Seriously....>Linux?

Certainly. Thanks for letting me down easy... Toast.

Reply to
warf

You may find it easier on Linux (or maybe a *BSD), because Microsoft tends to make things overly complicated, and with Linux you also have the source code (given you're capable of understanding it). However, it's not really dependant on the operating system. I learned the basics on Windows before doing my first steps with Linux.

cu

59cobalt
Reply to

Thanks for the support. I guess it is time to leave home and set out on a new course...the linux course [ of course] Then there is still the matter of internet protocol... Warf. PS, i gave you the nod in a different thread with Sebastien regarding your comments about making a 'safe' internet. I think maybe the dedicated , user unmodifiable approach we had in the early years may in fact be the only way. as long as everybody can have a go at it they will. Compatibility will tank again but then at least we can choose....safe or mailable and adaptable [but hackable] I know there will always be a subset of society bent on defeating that inherent safety but at least it would be limited to the experts. By shear reduction in the number of people and modes to watch it would be much easier than the open ended 'have at it because we all want our cake and eat it to' way of making all connections generic.

I was very opposed to the early proprietary crap we had but i wan t aware of what the trade off would be .... much like child soldiers are to war, educated and bored kids outnumber the 'pro's.

I'll gracefully step aside now and see what I can learn of linux. Till then, thanks for the advice. Warf [gotcha!]

Reply to
warf

The first steps on my Caldera Linux 2.0 was to recompile the kernel and the AD1816 sound driver so that it supports full 44.1 KHz sampling. ;-D

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.