They are coming back from holdays

X-No-Archive: Yes

As people come back from summer holidays in the north and winter holidays in the South, I am seeing the at-work listening coming back on our radio station, and people are coming through proxies from all over the world to connect.

I had one guy in my chat rooms, bouncing off a proxy in Thailand admit to doing so, so he can hide his activities from his boss. A lot of listeners are bouncing on proxies hosted at a colocation centre in China. The boss will not that people are going to strange addresses in Chian, but will NEVER know what is going in.

I am also seeing a lot of listening coming from a new VPN service in Rotterdam. Holland. For only 10 USD a month, you get an encrypted connection that cannot be sniffed, and you use their own proprietary software. Just install on the software on your computer, then go to their website and get an account. The boss will see a new strange encryption scheme being used, but he/she will NEVER know what that employee is up to.

Reply to
Chilly8
Loading thread data ...

Are you still promoting the unethical use of proxies and the amoral use of working time for personal purposes? And for 'only 10 USD a month'. Such a bargain for those who should be drawing unemployment for such actions. For shame on them...and you!

Bud

Reply to
Bud

If it NOT unethical. During our broadcasts of the political conventions, listenership went through the ROOF, especially during the rollcallof the states, at the Democratic convention, which had the unusual schedule of being held during the working hours in parts of the USA.

A lot of people WERE tuned in from workingplaces on that day. It was NOT unethical to listen to the Democratic or Republican conventions from work.

Reply to
Chilly8

These commercial VPN services use the idea of hiding surfing activities from the boss as a selling point for their products. One in Cyprus, with servers in England and Germany also promote that as one use of their products.

There are now companies who are doing this, and their owners are laughing all the way to the bank on this one. And before anyone starts with the legalese, becuase these companies and/or servers are in Holland, Germany, England, and/or Cyprus, they are ONLY subject to the laws of THOSE countries are are NOT SUBJECT to ANY United States laws.

Reply to
Chilly8

One other thing to note. The amount you pay typically depends on the speed you desire. The 10 USD per month is for a connection that is about 300K in speed, sufficient for Internet radio and web surfing. Higher speeds, from the various companies, obviously costs more. One company in Cyprus has servers in England and Germany, and offers a connection of about 4 megs a month, for 20 USD per month, which will allow you to watch just about any kind of online video available, and the do promote hiding your activities from the boss as one selling point of their service. They even say that if you use their service, they will never know what you are up to.

Reply to
Chilly8

One wonders if David Hannum had foreknowledge of your existance...

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Unethical? Probably not.

Against company policy? More than likely.

Reply to
Notan

Does the charter of this group permit blatant advertising?

Brian

Reply to
Skywise

I am not advertising, since I am not mentioning the URL for my station, nor am I using any Email address that would point to the station.

Reply to
Chilly8

No, but chilly is way too stupid to understand that. Don't feed him.

cu

59cobalt
Reply to
Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers

Had my say so will follow your suggestion. Plonky Chilly.

Bud

Reply to
Bud

Well, I have figured out why listenership has suddenly started going up again, after being down for a while. Another change in their proprietary Nanocaster software now allows listening through Windows Media Player 10 or later.

All one has to do is download a small ASX file, 1141 bytes long, small enough to Email to their office Email account, an attachment size SO small that admins would not even notice it.

All someone would have to is simply open that ASX file, and WIndows Media player would open to the Live 365 WMP interface. We have tested this new interface with ALL proxy and anonymity service that we know of and it works. So somoene could be listening to Live 365 through the new WMP interface, using virtually ANY proxy service, and you, as admins, would never know about it. EVERY proxy/anonymity service we have tested with the new Windows Media interface will interface with the system.

And since WMP comes standard in all Windows installations, they ONLY way you could stop to the use of WMP would be to use an operating system other than Windows. There is no way that Windows shops are going to prevent WMP from being loaded and used.

Reply to
Chilly8

It doesn't work on any of our clients networks because their don't have FULL Internet access as a default.

Reply to
Leythos

I know that I have seen my listenership shoot up since the change in their Nanocaster that has the option of using a Windows Media Player 10 or

11 client. I am seeing connections from Tor, from various "wen proxies", as well as subscription VPN services, such as BananaVPN, as well as from proxies from the lists of misconfigured proxy servers that you can on the net rather easily.

I, myself, have stopped operationg a public proxy becuase while my connection can handle the bandwidth of running a Tor entry proxy, my firewall software cannot. Both Kerio and Tiny Personal firewalls crash under heavy traffic loads. After a few hours either Tiny or Kerio would start giving all kinds of weird error messages, and then crash, forcing me to go into the Windows service manager and restart the Firewall (which runs as a service in Windows). Neither Tiny or Kerio can handle the heavy traffic loads of running a public Tor entry proxy very well, as I found out.

For those here that are advertising their public proxy services on here, you might want to find a better firewall program, than Tiny or Kerio, or you may suffer the same problems that I did, and have to reboot your server several times a day, if you get really heavy traffic.

When I did run my Tor entry proxy, I often saw connections from office networks all over the place, especially in the USA, often times pratically being a whos-who of Corporate America, that you would have had to have seen it to believe it.

Reply to
Chilly8

Which doesn't change the fact that a properly configured network would not allow what you need to waste company time on your crap.

Reply to
Leythos

I run all-Christmas music weekends, starting in Octoner and runnng through Christmas, and Saturday in Australia is Friday in America, and when the switchover takes place on Friday evenings, Australia time, I see my listenership REALLY go up, becuase I play a lot the OOOLLDDDD Christmas classics, such as the Chipmunk Christmas Song, or the Barking Jingle Bells, or selections from the Phil Spector Christmas album that many AM and FM stations don't play anymore in their Christmas music playlists. When the "Holiday Oldies Weekend" is on the air, I do pick up a lot of listeners on Fridays, U.S. time, always did. But now with the option of using Windows Media Player, it is now possible to listen from work, and keep the boss from knowing what you are up to, if you know what you are doing.

And the listenership should soar even more when I go all-Christmas (when not doing live programming), in mid November.

And I see nothing wrong with listening to Christmas music from work, as long as you are getting your work done.

Reply to
Chilly8

That's why the community sees you as an unethical hack. It's not your call and you support people breaking company policy and utilizing company resources that they don't have permission to use. You've even stated that you help people violate company policy - which is unethical.

Nice lack of ethics you have.

Reply to
Leythos

I don't see, say, listening to the political conventions or any of the presidential debates from work at unethical. During our broadcasts of the Democratic Nat'l Convention and the Republican convention as well, our listenership shot up. And I was seeing people tuning in from workplaces all over the western half of the USA (where it as still the working hours).

And it was NOT unethical for people to tune into the Democratic or Republican conventions from work.

Also, when were carrying the House and Senate sessions during the debate on the bailout bill, I was seeing a lot of people tuning in from workplaces all over the globe. And I see NOTHING unethical about tuning in to these sessions of the House and Senate, as long as they were getting their work done, I don't see any problem with them having tuned into these special house and senate sessions.

Reply to
Chilly8

If they violate company policy then it's unethical, period.

You are a blight on this group because you constantly advocate and assist people in doing things that violate their company policy, could get them fired, is very easy to detect, and can be blocked with little effort.

You are unethical.

Reply to
Leythos

I am one of those who is against censorship in ANY place, for ANY reason, including the workplace.

However, VPN tunnels are for more than just circumventing filters at work. As I have said before, I use them when I go to certain countries that may block services, such as Skype, tht I use to run my talk show and radio station.

In 3 weeks I go to China to broadcast a figure skating competition there, and I will, as I did for the Winter Asian Games, the Summer Olympics, and Beijing Cup tennis, use my VPN server to access Skype, and the Chinese authorities will never know what I am up to.

Using VPN also lets me avoid government monitoring of Skype (now Chine just tries to monitor it instead of block it). With my VPN server, there is no POSSIBLE way the Chinese authorities will know that I am using Skype.

And with South Korea now beginning a new filtering and montoring regime (similar to what Japan plans to begin in 2010), I will be able to avoid monitoring and filtering when I go to Goyang, in December, to broadcast the Grand Prix Final. And, yes, you read that right, that is SOUTH Korea, and not North Korea.

And with the world figure skating championships coming up in 2011 in Japan, I will be able to surf the Net, while in Japan( after the new filtering/monintoring regime starts there), and all the Japanese authorities will see is a bunch of encrypted garbage. When I am in Nagano in 2011, I will be able to run my talk show, using myh encrypted VPN tunnel, and the local authorities in Japan will NEVER know what I am up to.

Reply to
Chilly8

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.