Sygate reports wuauclt.exe hijacking

Over the course of ten minutes, Sygate reported that "Application Hijacking has been detected" - C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\wuauclt.exe was trying to launch firefox.exe "to go to the following remote hosts", all of which are legitimate, and all of which were loading from a saved firefox session: resources.zagat.com ssl-hints.netflame.cc

formatting link
ssl.google-analytics.com catalog.nypl.org

I closed firefox, relaunched it, and the reports of hijack attemps stopped.

I checked to make sure that uwauclt.exe was in the windows/system32 folder (it is) as one sign that this microsoft updater may be a virus is that it is located in another folder.

I scanned my system with avast, superantispyware and malwarebytes and no trojans, viruses, or infected files were found.

I've used Sygate for months and this is the first time this has happened.

Can someone tell me what's going on?

Thanks for any help.

Ellen

Reply to
Ellen
Loading thread data ...

"Ellen" wrote

difficult to say whats going on

formatting link

Reply to
chris

Sygate was acquired by Symantec back in October 2005. Symantec did not support the product and instead yanked it from the marked (as their long-time scheme of destroying competitors by buying them and then archiving the product). Don't expect heuristics in Sygate to work. They haven't been updated for many years.

formatting link

Reply to
VanguardLH

Thanks,VanguardLH.

Ellen

Reply to
Ellen Smyth

Thanks, VanguardLH.

Ellen E

Reply to
Ellen

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.