Suggestions please!!! Need a device to block internet access to specific URLs and IM programs in office

Hi

I have small doctors office with 6 Desktops and 3 laptops. We have DSL service plugging into a Linksys WRT54G and then into a 24-port switch. All computers are windows xp Pro and no servers.

The girls at front desk keep chatting and surfing on myspace. I have told them several times but when i am not there it just goes on as usual. In the past month alone the computers have had more and more stuff being installed on them. I am looking for a device which will let me block things like myspace, youtube etc. Also block IM programs. In all my searching over the last two weeks i have come across fancy names like UTM (unified threat management) and CFD (content filtering devices) but they all cost in thousands. I need something in the $400-$600 price range.

I have tried the keyword and url filter in WRT54G and its useless. It does not block anything. A friend is using fortigate 60 firewall/vpn router and in its setting i blocked myspace (by keyword blocking) but i can surf to myspace no problem even after re-booting the router. I have found Zyxel's Zywall 35 and Safe@Office 500 in my price range but i can't get any review on if these devices will actually block the URLs.

Any suggestion?

Thank you for reading.

mK

Reply to
drkhan
Loading thread data ...

You can find used/refurbished FW appliances not routers for a fraction of the cost with full support and warrantee for 90 days, from reputable dealers for a given product line. You call the manufacture or go to their Web sites to find a list of dealers.

Reply to
Mr. Arnold

Do you suggest a specific brand or model?

Thanks

Reply to
drkhan

Watchguard, Cisco, Sonicwall, Snapgear are a some that you can investigate or any of the major vendors of FW appliances.

The link below may help you in your selection process and toss the Linksys wireless router or convert it into a wire/WAP switch and plug it into a LAN port on the FW appliance.

formatting link

Reply to
Mr. Arnold

While I would rather see you get a full firewall, that's about $2K, but a DFL-700 permits blocking of sites by names and ip addresses - so you could block *.myspace.com/* and even *.yahoo.com/* so that they can't reach the yahoo servers or the myspace servers with ANY program.

Reply to
Leythos

One of the things i just can't understand is why does Linksys router has an option to block URL... if it does not work. How can they add a feature that broken across the board. *frustrated

Thanks for your suggestions. If you guys know of a specific model please recommend that since at of this stuff is very new to me.

Thank you.

Reply to
drkhan

mK,

What you need, and it would appear lack, is an agreed-to acceptable use policy. If you have no policy, you have no security.

If you have an acceptable use policy that prohibits use of such web sites, installing of software, etc, then any such computer misuse can be dealt with by management.

As it appears that you have no policy, even the act of investigating their usage could be a breach of privacy laws and even against their human rights.

In short, without an agreed policy - and backing at board level, you have _NO_ security. WITH an agreed policy your reliance on technical countermeasures can be reduced thus saving on purchasing and maintaining hardware and software notto mention administrative overheads.

Having said all that, one effective solution could be an old workstation with a vaiant of BSD/ Linux running squid and IP Tables may be the technical solution you are searching for.

HTH,

Bogwitch.

Reply to
Bogwitch

I think there are confidental data on the PCs.

This is not dangerous, only unwanted during their hours of work

You do not respect you

Everyone has adminrights and the responsible person (you ?) has lost the control of the PCs and the data. You are only allowed to pay for the electricity.

- $0: switch the WRT54G immediately off.

- rebuild your PCs and laptops with proper software, userpermissions etc.

- establish a use and security policy for the use of the PCs and the use of the internet.

- write letters of warning and signalise instant dismissals.

- then you can define the firewall requirements. The firewall must have a slight part in the use and security policy and your promblems can't be solved technical by a firewall. UTM, CFD etc. are buzzwords, but in your case only snakeoil for security. In a company with 9 PCs is this absurd. I will not give you a recommendation for a firewall, search for experienced experts in your surrounding area. The costs of the hardware are the smallest part, more expensive is the proper implementation and maintenance.

bye Christoph

Reply to
Christoph Hanle

I'd strongly recommend getting a clue about IT security. I'd think that there are patient data on your computers. The things that happen in your network make me fear that these data are spread over the whole internet.

Get a seriuos security solution that covers those risks. That will include strict user and access rights, no free internet acces from any of the computers in your network and much more. And it will cost a little bit more than a few hundred dollars but it will be far less than the compensation you'll have to pay in case of patient data leaking out.

Wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang Kueter

Thank you guys. You all have suggested a few very good ground rules. I think i am gonna sort out the acceptable use policy this week and then look for a security solution.

Thank you again!

Reply to
drkhan

Yikes! I missed the first paragraph! Think HIPAA (if the OP is in the USA). Time for the OP to get a professional in. They are way out of their depth.

I would have to disagree. MySpace has had several XSS vulnerabilities recently.

And I missed that, too.

As I am unsure of the OPs country of residence, it is difficult to say wether taking an image of the HDDs for a subsequent investigation would be necessary before re-installation. I would. Otherwise it could be seen as a deliberate attempt to destroy evidence. There could very easily be a loss of confidential patient data from this system.

Absolutely. This is beyond the scope of an amateur. There are very serious consequences of a security incident with this setup and I would be very suprised if there has not been one already.

If the OP is in the UK, I'd be happy to offer my servies. :-)

Bogwitch.

Reply to
Bogwitch

Sorry, but I'm shocked. Seriously: The setup you run/ran in your office implements nothing of the standards of security and privacy protection required for a doctor. You risk(ed) your business.

Wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang Kueter

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.