Suggestions for a outbound firewall?

I finally uninstalled Zone Alarm. The recent conflict between Zone Alarm and the latest Microsoft Hotfix was the final straw. My computer is now running a lot faster (especially on boot-up), so I am glad I did. And I still have good inbound protection between the router and WIndows Firewall, well at least the router. Since getting FiOS two years ago I do not believe Zone Alarm has even logged a single inbound intrusion attempt. Everything has been stopped at the router, even if it does not stealth my computer. I had really only been running Zone Alarm for the outbound protection it provides, but every ZA update got bigger and slower...

So I would like to get a good, non-resource hog, outbound software firewall for controlling what programs can and can not access the net. The program does not even have to provide any inbound protection. I am not so much worried about Trojans, which would hopefully be stopped by my anti-virus software and safe computing. However, I do not want legitimate programs "phoning home", sending whatever information they want.

Can anyone offer any suggestions? The smaller the program the better. Free would be best, but I'd be willing to pay for a good program.

Reply to
Jon Purkey
Loading thread data ...

Then configure the legitimate programs so that they don't "phone home".

You really don't need to add unnecessary complexity to your computer, but if you are going to insist on doing so then the following was mentioned recently in another thread.

formatting link

Reply to
Cantril rasheedin

Easier said than done sometimes. Though it has been a while since a program has tried to connect to the net, thus causing a ZA alert, without first asking permission. When a program tries to connect without first informing me of the connection I am more likely to ask what type of information is being sent?

Thanks. I've bookmarked that site and will research the program some more later.

I haven't ruled out to just sticking with what I am using now. But if I can add an extra layer of defense without negative effects on my computer then I figure, why not?

Reply to
Jon Purkey

Ok, do you have any or all of the following installed? And if so, do you have the most recent version and all available security updates?

Windows XP Adobe Reader Flash Player Shockwave player Real Player Java Other software not listed

If you find that you are lacking security updates (and are thus vulnerable to intrusion), ask yourself what stopped you getting notification that a critical update was available.

Reply to
Cantril rasheedin

I did the same thing to my husbands machine and got rid of ZA at the moment it's running the windows one but I will probably install Online Armor which is the firewall I have on my machine and I can tell you that it is a far superior firewall without all the bloat and is a lot more informative and easier to understand. Have a look at the Tallemu website.

Reply to
Joan Archer

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 16:24:29 GMT,when reading "comp.security.firewalls", I'm certain I caught a glimpse of "Jon Purkey " saying:

Being behind a router you would be wasting your money if you pay. :-)

Until recently I was using Kerio 2.1.5 on one computer. It's light weight and free.

On a second computer I was running Sygate Personal Firewall 5.6.2808 (8.8 MB) from

Sygate is free but asks for an email address for which snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com would suffice because it doesn't check and then won't ask again.

Just for the moment I'm running the Sygate firewall on both computers but try them both, I'd recommend either.

If you choose to install either of those disable Windows firewall first.

Reply to
Erik Vastmasd

Thanks. Essentially that is what I'm looking for. Something that provides the protection without all the bloat. I can't believe how much faster my computer is without Zone Alarm.

Reply to
Jon Purkey

Thanks for the suggestions. I will do some research on both.

Reply to
Jon Purkey

On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 23:47:06 GMT,when reading "comp.security.firewalls", I'm certain I caught a glimpse of "Jon Purkey " saying:

You're welcome.

Reply to
Erik Vastmasd

Reply to
Meebers

Glad you are finding OA a good replacement for Zone Alarm, sorry but I don't know what Magic Jack is but have you posted about this at the Online Armor forum, there are a lot of knowledgeable people there who will be willing to help you with it.

Reply to
Joan Archer

I did not replace ZA but another Firewall that was rated very good "COMODO?". Magic Jack is a USB thumb device that allows you to make calls via the internet. Will try the forum, to see why magic jack has 8 entries on the allowed programs. TX..

Reply to
Meebers

Sorry about that, probably because I'd mentioned Zone Alarm thought you'd replaced that as well Yes give the people at the Tallemu forum a try, I think you'll find they can help you. Good luck.

Reply to
Joan Archer

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.