Stupid PIX configuration question.

Hi.

I am stuck with the simple config issue. Here is what I have configured:

The PIX 501:

Inside - simple one range C network (255 addresses with NAT) Outside - 4 public addresses network (PIX -Gateway)

• Simple access-list and VPN.

What I am trying to get.

I want one machine on the internal network to share one folder to one outside (public IP) machine by using standard Windows protocol for shared folders.

And I can not make it to work.

Could someone help me with it?

Step by Step instruction will be highly appreciated.

Thank you.

Best

Vic.

Reply to
vic800r
Loading thread data ...

Without knowing the software version you run on the PIX, the your current configuration, what you have tried, the kind of VPN you want to use, the VPN client you use, etc. it is difficult to say.

There is a lot of documentation on cisco.com. Configuration guides for PIX

formatting link
and more documenation including the reference guides

formatting link
The configuration guides contain detailed descriptions how to setup a variety of VPNs including the exact config commands.

Gerald

Reply to
Gerald Vogt

Thank you for pointing me to the Cisco guides.

Lets put it the other way and simplify the task.

I have Cisco PIX 501 with the firmware version 6.3. There is NOTHING CONFIGURED on it. Clean system. Only NAT and the route outside are there.

Outside interface is connected to the internet provider switch. Inside interface is connected to only one Windows machine.

Here is the task:

Windows machine inside (IP = 192.168.0.1) Windows machine outside (Public IP)

The inside machine has only one shared folder which is wide open.

Please tell me what needs to be done to get that shared folder on the internal machine to become visible and accessible from the Internet machine. Standard Windows way (like map network drive) is preferable.

Thank you.

Reply to
vic800r

Did you read them?

That already isn't nothing.

There are many flavors of Windows out there.

As I have written before the proper way to do that is to setup a VPN. You did not answer which kind of VPN you want to set up or which VPN clients have or want to use. The configuration guide for your software version contains instructions how to set up various VPNs with various Windows versions.

They also contain information/links how VPNs work which you don't seem to know. You will have to read and understand that because otherwise you may end up publishing the shared folders to the public.

Assuming you have Vista or XP on the remote computer you should already have the L2TP/IPSec client. Instructions how to setup the PIX and the Windows computer are in the configuration guide. If you have the Cisco VPN client you can also use that. Instructions again, in detail, are in the configuration guide. Other VPN clients can be used as well. But without knowing which clients you have or want to use it is impossible to say.

But so far, everything you need is in detail with explanations and even some screenshots in the configuration guide. Just click through the table of contents or look for L2TP, IPSec, or VPN in the index.

Gerald

Reply to
Gerald Vogt

It might be easier to run a simple PPTP server on your PIX 501 as the Windows clients are super easy to configure. Here's a sample config:

formatting link
Also, try searching cisco.com for vpdn and PPTP.

-Gary

Reply to
Gary

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.