Static NAT On 2 Routers - Different Public IP's Pointing to Same Private IP?

Hi,

I have a general networking question regarding static NAT. My question is:

Is it possible to have two routers, each connected to a different ISP, with static NAT (aka one-to-one NAT) setup to point to the same internal ip address? If it is possible, will it yield bad performance / packet collisions, or will there be any other unforeseen issues?

My situation is the following:

I am trying to setup a server for network redundancy. I already have

2 similar routers that support static NAT. I would like to give my server a private ip address, say 10.0.1.100. I would then like to setup static NAT on each router as follows:

Router 1 (connected to ISP 1):

(public address) xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 10.0.1.100 (private address)

Router 2 (connected to ISP 2):

(public address) xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 10.0.1.100 (private address)

So my logic is the following:

If traffic comes into my server through the public IP address on router 1, it will be translated to the private address and sent to that server.

If traffic comes into the server through the public address on router

2, it will be translated to the private address and sent to that same server.

Will the server be able to send the return packets back out through the correct router? Does the server use its default gateway to determine which router to send the packets to, or does it know to send it back to the router who sent it the traffic originally?

Both routers will be on the same internal network: 10.0.1.0\\24 (I think I did that correctly). So will it not use the default gateway since both routers are on the same network as the server?

Thanks,

Seth

Reply to
s.fenster
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.