Spybot and ZoneAlarm

I'm using ZA 5.5.094.000 and Spybot S&D 1.4. When attempting to update Spybot via the Internet, Spybot times out with, "Error retrieving update info file! Socket Error # 10060, Connection timed out". ZoneAlarm's log shows that ZA blocked an outgoing TCP packet to security.safer-networking.org, IP address 212.227.253.104, which appears to belong to Spybot. ZA does not identify the program that is responsible for the outgoing packet.

Any suggestions?

- Franc Zabkar

Reply to
Franc Zabkar
Loading thread data ...

You have to give Spybot full access to both trusted & internet zone including (sending mail) ,also you can add their Updates server's IP to your trusted IPs list ,to do so go to Zones panel and click on Add button ,a menu will appear and you will choose (IP address) ,A window will appear ,choose (trsusted) from the drop down list ,and enter your desired IP ,and put (Spybot updates) in the description field or any other words you like ,and then clcik OK and you are done.

Please post your results. Best regards

Reply to
NightLegend

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 09:05:57 +0300, "NightLegend" put finger to keyboard and composed:

I had tried your method without success before posting. In desperation I reverted to a previous version of ZA (5.5.062.004). This time I had no problems. Spybot 1.4 was intercepted by ZA in a program alert window and added to the Program Control section in the usual fashion.

I have now upgraded to ZA 5.5.094.000 (as before). Spybot 1.4 now works properly.

All I can add is that the problem appears to have begun after uninstalling Spybot 1.2 and installing Spybot 1.4. The previous 1.2 installation had been corrupted, probably as a result of an OS crash (Win98SE) after running low on swap space. FWIW, I removed Spybot 1.2 from ZA's Programs table after installing 1.4.

- Franc Zabkar

Reply to
Franc Zabkar

That's not quite right. You don't have to give Spybot S&D permission for SEND MAIL. As long as I've been running Spybot S&D and Zone Alarm I have used the same ZA settings for Spybot S&D without problem:

ALLOW both TRUSTED and INTERNET under ACCESS. BLOCK both TRUSTED and INTERNET under SERVER. BLOCK under SEND MAIL.

Never had to do anything else, like adding IP Addresses to TRUSTED zones, in any application, for Spybot S&D to update correctly.

Reply to
dak

I know ofcource that (send mail) permission is not technically effective for this matter but I just wanted to make sure of covering all the possibilities even the weird ones ,and as for the trusted IP it was just another suggestion for the tiny possibility of Zone having a problem with the updates server ,and all the suggestions posted in any group is merely suggestion ,meaning that it could succeed or fail and as you know there is nothing in the world that is absolutely right 100% or absolutely wrong 100%.

Reply to
NightLegend

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.