Sonicwall TZ170 drops connection on LAN side

Hi

The problem i am having is, i have 15 users connect to a SBS 2003 server.

My config is

SBS 2003 with 1 Nic

IP 192.168.0.50 SubNet 255.255.255.0 Gateway 192.168.0.1

DNS 192.168.0.50

Sonicwal IP LAN Side 192.168.0.1 WAN Port connects to ADSL

The is problem is that one 1 clients drops connection to the gateway/sonicwall.

All clients are dhcp and on the same ip range

When i ping 192.168.0.1 i get no reply, but if i ping SBS server

192.168.0.50 i get a reply. I went to another client and tried to ping 192.168.0.1 I get a reply.

If i unplug the client with the problem nic cable and put it back in again i get a reply from 192168.0.1, but after a while it drops again. No other user is having any problems.

All the client computers are WIN XP.

I have changed the nic in the client and the cat5 patch lead, but this had made no difference.

This is an intermitting problem, it works then does not work and then it works again.

Any help, advice would be great

Cheers

Niall

Reply to
genoff2000
Loading thread data ...

if it's just one host on the LAN not receiving replies, I doubt it's a sonicwall problem, anyway: check the logs and arp entries on the sonicwall. make sure your client *is* getting a valid dhcp adress, and that there aren't any duplicates,

also: do you have some firewall, anti-something on that particular client?

M
Reply to
mak

Thank M for you reply

I have checked the client and it does have a valid ip address, cause when it cannot ping the sonicwall, it can ping the the sbs 2003 server. other clients can ping both, when this client cannot only ping the sonicwall.

I have not tried to ping from the sonicwall to the the failed client to see if this is working.

When i renew the dhcp sometimes that fixes it, but only for a short while, if i unplug the nic cable and reconnect it again that fixes it for a short while.

what should i be looking for in the arp table on the sonicwall

Cheers

N

sonicwall problem, anyway: check the logs and arp

any duplicates,

Reply to
genoff2000

Niall: Here are some things I would check a. does the client have any static network configuration settings? b. try the problem client on different switch port on your firewall/ switch?

I had a similar issue with a friend of mine two days,who was trying to connect his laptop to his high speed cable connection...client would obtain a valid ip address fine from the approved network range but could not go anywhere on the internet...checked every possible setting/ configuraiton on his ie but did not find anything...finally it clicked on me to check his network card setting and there was the problem, apparently his son had used the laptop at college and had set a static dns entry.....after 2+ hours (of free work)....

so, give it try... Julio (somerset, pa)

Reply to
jv

Cheers J

I will give that a try, that was the next thing i was going to do, change port on switch.

I am also going to give the client a static ip address,

Niall

Reply to
genoff2000

check if the sonicwall has an arp entry for the client mac, meaning they can "see" each other on layer 2

M
Reply to
mak

Cheers Mak

I will check that out and let you know

N
Reply to
genoff2000

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.