Sonicwall SOHO3 Connection Issues

I recently acquired a Sonicwall SOHO3 from a friend with an intent to set it up for my home office but I am having connection issues I hope someone can help. It is loosing connection by itself after few minutes (5-30 mins) even when no one is logged on to it. I can't figure out what is causing it. I would like to get the log to see what happened but because I have to power cycle the unit to get it back running so the logs are lost.

Reply to
Dravidan
Loading thread data ...

Dravidan wrote in news:0773f758-0b36-46e3-8efd- snipped-for-privacy@n75g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

can you configure it to save the logs on another computer via the network?

Reply to
bz

you know that box is probably 4,5 years old, right?

M
Reply to
mak

Yes. It is definitely older than 5 years.

Reply to
brnstrmrs

I am saving the log file but I can't seem to figure out why its dropping. Sometimes it runs for hours and sometime it won't even last for 15mins.

Reply to
brnstrmrs

brnstrmrs wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@m36g2000hse.googlegroups.com:

I think I would monitor the AC line voltage and put the unit on a variac(variable ac transformer) and see if it drops out when the line voltage gets low, since your answer seems to imply that you see nothing in the log to indicate an attack causing it to die.

Reply to
bz

brnstrmrs wrote in news:ae8496a9-b10c-429d-97c6- snipped-for-privacy@p25g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

Those SOHO3 Sonicwalls had some issues with flakey power adaptors that caused a lot of problems. It might not be a bad idea to try a replacement power adaptor to see if that clears up the problem. If I remember right, they used a 5VDC adaptor, but I don't remember what the current rating for it was.

Reply to
Rick

It bugs the heck out of me because my friend tested it in his office and he had no issues so I am not sure if it is a power issue. Anyway, It is a 5Volt, 2.4Amp/12W DC power adapter. I will see if I can place it on a UPS or replace the adapter. I also played around with the setting from auto to 100/full duplex to 100/half duplex but still same problem while the router is in auto. One strange thing I notice is that when ping from locally, once every five pings take twice as long time as others. Any idea?

Reply to
brnstrmrs

brnstrmrs wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@c65g2000hsa.googlegroups.com:

Ripple on the dc from the power supply.

We had a mini hub take down our entire building back in the 10baseT days, before we went to switches. A capacitor in the power supply had blown up. A computer using the mini hub kept getting partial packets and requesting resends. The flood of bad packets made the Ethernet unusable in the entire building.

Reply to
bz

innews: snipped-for-privacy@c65g2000hsa.googlegroups.com:

I disconnected the wan port and ping the sonicwall from inside and it went all night without interruption except the once every 5 pings took twice as much time. What you say makes sense, if my ISP's router keeps asking the sonicwall to resend the package then it would be a problem. I am also going to try to flush the firmware on the device.

Reply to
brnstrmrs

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.