Slower DSL download speed with router

Win2K Pro SP.4, single user, SpeedTouch modem, PPPoE, Dlink Dl-604 router. I used to use a Kerio firewall but following a crash In October, the guy who repaired it, installed a Dlink router in place of the firewall. I have a subscription to Grisoft's AVG7.5 and there's been no problems.

I used to get 170 KB/s download (3 MB service but long way from CO) but now it's only about 35 KB/s, about only a fifth of what it used to be. I've tested it by downloading files that I've previously downloaded, at different times of day.

I have a call into my repair guy and will probably speak to him this coming week, but wonder if you have any helpful comments?

tia Alan

Reply to
Alan Illeman
Loading thread data ...

Reply to
Tony

Reply to
Tony

Reply to
Tony

To trash then entire D-Link line without understand, you tend to make people not believe what you say.

As an example, while the 604 is junk, they make a DFL-700 device that is very nice, has a lot of nice features, etc....

Linksys, while having a nicer interface, is not really better, as I've installed over 100 of each, they all have problems. I had a Linksys BEFSR41, BEFSX41 and several others that would reboot during extended loading of the LAN, a cheap D-Link didn't reboot as a replacement for the linksys units.

Reply to
Leythos

Yah, well I've got a very nice DGL 4300 here, works flawlessly.

Reply to
Warren Oates

Reply to
Tony

Alan Illeman skrev:

Have you checked if there is a newer firmware? If there is one upgrade the unit. You can see if the SPI mode ('Tools > Misc') is enabled, and if it is turn it of to see if you get a better speed.

You can also toggle DoS protection (same 'Misc'tab) on/off.

And of course try to reboot the unit.

But the first thing is the firmware.

The D-link 604 is cheap but no crap the one I have has served me well and is still doing so.

/Anders

Reply to
Anders

And so you lump all of their products into your very limited scope of experience.

Most home users purchase the "Cheapest" device they can get that is suppose to do the job - it's no secret, why don't you understand that?

I would be willing to bet that you've never used a higher end D-Link device, and since Linksys doesn't come close to those devices (for quality or performance) you show your stripes here in your limited understanding and experience.

Reply to
Leythos

Wrong, I've had every line of the sub $200 router that linksys provides fail under heavy loads - try a sorority with 40+ users hammering one and see how many times it reboots. The D-Link device I replaced them with didn't fail/reboot once.

Reply to
Leythos

Reply to
Tony

Strange, I know people, 20+ with 604's, that have had them for at least

3 years and they work fine for their homes. I have one customer with a 2 year old DFL-700 and it's working fine.

Most of the first BEFSR41 units suffered from the BAD Capacitor issues, their wireless routers are crap in most cases, and CISCO didn't improve anything.

Don't get me wrong, we still use the BEFVP units in the field, but, when we buy new units we get the DFL-700 units - when we have to have a firewall class NAT device that is under $400.

Heck, the BE series of Linksys doesn't even support a true DMZ, not to mention their failing based on traffic being heavy.

LOL - what you're spouting indicates, to anyone with experience, is that you don't have a clue about anything you've stated, you're just repeating a mantra like a sheep would, swearing that you must be right since you can't be wrong - Ha Ha Ha.

Come back after you learn a little more sonny.

Reply to
Leythos

I've never heard so much hogwash in my life. I talk to people on the loading docks who bought dlink routers all said the same thing all of them failed the first month after they bought them. I've always touted the linksys router as one of the best and as we all know dlink is one of the worst. In fact i'd say if it wasn't for the hawking router the dlink would be declared the worst router ever built.

Reply to
Curmudgeon Lafive

And I've got a very similar experience with the BEFSR41, BEFSR81, BEFSX, BEFVP units, bought then and the first time the experienced any real loading they rebooted frequently, or they failed completely and would not boot-up, or they ran for months and then died...

I've not had a single DFL series D-Link fail, not one, and they don't reboot under heavy load.

So, it would seem that you need to have a little more experience.

Reply to
Leythos

I don't know what kind of cockamamie mumbo jumbo this is but here in newfoundland everybody knows everybody and everybody knows that dlink routers are a hunk a shit. Why at one point in time years ago it was so bad they were giving them away for free at future shop. I remember even back then there were no takers and the people in the cashier's lineups were holding linksys routers.

Reply to
Curmudgeon Lafive

"Alan Illeman" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.supernews.com:

What does your dsl box say *its* speed is: frequently you'll get power surges and the like and the speed the box thinks it should be running at drops. There's probably a spot on in the setup book you got for the box that tells you how to find this out. Note: this is *not* the same thing as a online speed test. If that's the case, try turning the dsl box off for a couple of seconds and then back on. There's probably a reset button on the back.

Finally, Not that I had anything to do with it, but sorry about the ranting that happened instead of the help you were asking for. The best way to handle ranters/trolls on usenet is to just ignore them and not reply to their posts. Killfiling them may be satisfying, but doesn't achieve any desired effect. (s

Reply to
chuckcar

Reply to
Tony

formatting link

Reply to
Tony

Reply to
Tony

... and yet *you* continue to feed them.

In what way "doesn't achieve any desired effect"?

Reply to
Sid Knee

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.