Simple method to block outgoing traffic

> And that is really a moot point to begin with as the prisoners are being > treated as they are prisoners of war. The only difference is what standard > they fall under not that they cannot be held.

Not really. If they were being treated as POWs then the Red Cross would be allowed into Gitmo, for instance. This hasn't happened, AFAIK. Also, POWs aren't to be held criminally or morally responsible for their acts on the battlefield.

I recognize that for the most part (except for certain egregious counter-examples) they are being treated humanely. But at some point, even humane imprisonment becomes mis-treatment when they have yet to be afforded even the pro forma consideration of a kangaroo trial.

Question: Is the War in Afghanistan over yet? The country has been liberated and they have a functioning government. We still have troops there, but we still have troops in Germany so I'm not sure that means much. If the war is over then POWs should be returned and War Criminals need to be tried. Neither is happening.

On the other hand, if they are being held as prisoners of the War on Terror, we have a different set of problems. The War on Terror isn't a real war, it's a rhetorical war. It's like the War on Drugs or the War on Poverty. Terrorism isn't a group or a state, it's a tactic. It's like a War on the Forward Pass or the End Run. And it is likely to never end, just like the War on Drugs or Poverty. I have a real hard time with a President claiming war powers that way.

It looks to me like we have a President who is claiming the authority to arrest anyone they like, anywhere, anytime, whisk them off to a secret prison outside of the jurisdiction of any court system, deny them access to legal aid or the International Red Cross, and hold them indefinitely

-- perhaps even for life -- with no trial or any kind of accountancy to any outside agency or authority.

That doesn't sound like America to me.

I recognize that terrorism is different than ordinary war and it's different than ordinary criminal behavior. If we need to pass new laws and establish new legal principles and processes to deal with it, then fine; let's do that. but do it the right way. But all this secret, "no court has jurisdiction", and "no laws apply to what we're doing" crap has got to go.

Try, convict, sentence, and execute. And I'll gladly borrow your 45 cal and serve in the firing squad. Trust me, I have no love for those assholes.

Reply to
stacey.michols
Loading thread data ...

So why don't you configure them accordingly? Or uninstall them if such a configuration is not possible?

If these programs are untrustworthy: no

You mean a host-based packet filter? Take a look at Wipfw. Still it won't solve your social problem 'trust'.

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

What do you mean? You go to the XP or 2003 O/S that's using NTFS and configure them to not allow the programs to run using the O/S. You don't go to no personal FW or any solution like that and try to control a program from running or communicating. If it cannot run, then it cannot communicate.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Isn't it possible to just configure these programs? What programs are they?

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Um, so you've never had a legit program that phones home for no good reason? BS.

Reply to
Enos Nivek

Will you ever realize that almost any phone-home rumor is based on the lack of correct configuration (and sometimes useless Personal Firewall complaints about local IPC via sockets)? With correct configuration, there is no real phone-home problem. So far there're only two real samples known:

1. The DirectConnect-client DC++ has an automatic version check in the About dialog. Can be easily disabled in source code and recompiled.
  2. ZoneAlarm. Honi soit qui mal y pense.

There have been some complaints about RealPlayer 10, but this has been disproven. All other obviously non-serious claims have been easily disproven as well.

So would you please stop joining that hype of technical incompetence?

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

If I would have one, I would not use it any more (beside a bug report, of course).

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Beside with Zone Alarm, of course. But I really don't need it ;-)

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

I can tell you're not a PC gamer at all. And I don't use Zonealarm, I use the XP firewall and a router. I use a port monitor when I want to see what's going on on my PC.

Reply to
Enos Nivek

Wrong.

A port monitor is something different then a socket state monitor. But essentially you're right: One does not need a packet filter and useless application control to simply monitor socket behaviour and even network traffic.

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

Medal of Honor demo connects out when just playing the single player.

I use Active Ports. What do you recommend?

Reply to
Enos Nivek

Diablo 2, CS 1.5, Q3A, Operation FlashPoint and Alpha Centauri don't do so.

TCPView from Sysinternals does the job as well, runs out of the box without any install (whereas the Active Ports Installer needs admin rights for no good reason) and offers automatic DNS lookups.

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

Hmm, I'm using v1.4.0.0 of Aports and it is dated from 2002 and I'm running it under a limited user account in XP fine. Or are you just saying it needs admin rights to install? If so, that's the way it should be. I will try TCPView though, thx.

Reply to
Enos Nivek

Enos Nivek wrote: [Active Ports]

Yes.

Definitely not. I can take the installed executable and carry it around just as I like, it still runs fine with limited rights without any need to install. So the installation and its need for admin rights are obviously superfluid.

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

OK, I see what you're saying now. You could extract the files from the installer and then create your own zip file of the files. That way you won't ever have to use the installer again.

Reply to
Enos Nivek

Really, the bottom line is who cares. If the makers of Aport want to use an install package so what? ;-)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

If I can't install it under normal conditions, I will simply not use it.

There's nothing bad with installer, just with non-working installers.

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

Yes, please do define what are normal conditions. I want to know what that is about.

If you're running on a NT based O/S and there is any kind of installer involved at least the ones I have setup and used to install a piece of software I have written, which may also have to register DLL(s) and make other registry entries such as ODBC, etc etc, then it has to be done with Admin rights that I know about on the NT based O/S.

Exe(s) don't have to be registered.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Limited User Access. It might not be the default on Windows, but the best general advice and even one major advice from any good Microsoft security documentation. On Windows implemented by the default "User" template which is obviously a good recommendation from Microsoft.

Exactly. When some software definitely requires Admin rights for its job, then I have no problem running the installer. Active Ports however does not.

For the same reason I ported the complete Photoshop installation to Limited User access , which was a big and dirty hack - but I worked.

One can create an EXE/OCX combo which might be registered as well. :-)

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

Well is anybody following it? At home I would say not. At work, if the user doesn't need Admin rights on the NT based O/S, they don't have it in any palce I have worked at.

I beg to differ as below you will notice the registry keys that are being made for Aports that were gotten from the uninstall.log. Now, unless a Limited user account has the rights and can make changes to the registry that most likely it can't do, then Aports has to be installed with an installer that's running under Admin rights.

Or am I missing some thing here?

My answers are continued below.

[Header] Signature=VISE Version=0001 RemoveInUseFiles=1 RegistryKeyName=Active Ports Product Name=Active Ports [WinNT] AdminPrivileges=1 [Directories2] 0=C:\\Program Files count=7 1=C:\\Program Files\\Active Ports 2=C:\\Documents and Settings 3=C:\\Documents and Settings\\All Users 4=C:\\Documents and Settings\\All Users\\Start Menu 5=C:\\Documents and Settings\\All Users\\Start Menu\\Programs 6=C:\\Documents and Settings\\All Users\\Start Menu\\Programs\\Active Ports [Files] count=9 0=C:\\Program Files\\Active Ports\\aports.exe 1=C:\\Program Files\\Active Ports\\software.txt 2=C:\\Program Files\\Active Ports\\VisitMe.url 3=C:\\Program Files\\Active Ports\\readme.txt 4=C:\\Documents and Settings\\All Users\\Start Menu\\Programs\\Active Ports\\Active Ports.lnk 5=C:\\Documents and Settings\\All Users\\Start Menu\\Programs\\Active Ports\\Software Catalog.lnk 6=C:\\Documents and Settings\\All Users\\Start Menu\\Programs\\Active Ports\\Software for Windows.lnk 7=C:\\Documents and Settings\\All Users\\Start Menu\\Programs\\Active Ports\\Read Me.lnk 8=C:\\Documents and Settings\\All Users\\Start Menu\\Programs\\Active Ports\\Remove Active Ports.lnk [Shortcuts] 0=C:\\DOCUME~1\\darnold\\Desktop\\ACTIVE~1.LNK [RegKeys] 0=HKEY_CURRENT_USER,SOFTWARE count=75 1=HKEY_CURRENT_USER,SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision 2=HKEY_CURRENT_USER,SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision\\aports 3=HKEY_CURRENT_USER,SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision\\aports\\Manager 4=HKEY_CURRENT_USER,SOFTWARE 5=HKEY_CURRENT_USER,SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision 6=HKEY_CURRENT_USER,SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision\\aports 7=HKEY_CURRENT_USER,SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision\\aports\\Manager 8=HKEY_CURRENT_USER,SOFTWARE 9=HKEY_CURRENT_USER,SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision 10=HKEY_CURRENT_USER,SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision\\aports 11=HKEY_CURRENT_USER,SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision\\aports\\Manager 12=HKEY_CURRENT_USER,SOFTWARE 13=HKEY_CURRENT_USER,SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision 14=HKEY_CURRENT_USER,SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision\\aports 15=HKEY_CURRENT_USER,SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision\\aports\\Manager 16=HKEY_CURRENT_USER,SOFTWARE 17=HKEY_CURRENT_USER,SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision 18=HKEY_CURRENT_USER,SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision\\aports 19=HKEY_CURRENT_USER,SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision\\aports\\Manager 20=HKEY_CURRENT_USER,SOFTWARE 21=HKEY_CURRENT_USER,SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision 22=HKEY_CURRENT_USER,SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision\\aports 23=HKEY_CURRENT_USER,SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision\\aports\\Manager 24=HKEY_CURRENT_USER,SOFTWARE 25=HKEY_CURRENT_USER,SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision 26=HKEY_CURRENT_USER,SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision\\aports 27=HKEY_CURRENT_USER,SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision\\aports\\Manager 28=HKEY_CURRENT_USER,SOFTWARE 29=HKEY_CURRENT_USER,SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision 30=HKEY_CURRENT_USER,SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision\\aports 31=HKEY_CURRENT_USER,SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision\\aports\\Manager 32=HKEY_CURRENT_USER,SOFTWARE 33=HKEY_CURRENT_USER,SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision 34=HKEY_CURRENT_USER,SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision\\aports 35=HKEY_CURRENT_USER,SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision\\aports\\Manager 36=HKEY_CURRENT_USER,SOFTWARE 37=HKEY_CURRENT_USER,SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision 38=HKEY_CURRENT_USER,SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision\\aports 39=HKEY_CURRENT_USER,SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision\\aports\\Manager 40=HKEY_CURRENT_USER,SOFTWARE 41=HKEY_CURRENT_USER,SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision 42=HKEY_CURRENT_USER,SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision\\aports 43=HKEY_CURRENT_USER,SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision\\aports\\Manager 44=HKEY_CURRENT_USER,SOFTWARE 45=HKEY_CURRENT_USER,SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision 46=HKEY_CURRENT_USER,SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision\\aports 47=HKEY_CURRENT_USER,SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision\\aports\\Manager 48=HKEY_CURRENT_USER,SOFTWARE 49=HKEY_CURRENT_USER,SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision 50=HKEY_CURRENT_USER,SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision\\aports 51=HKEY_CURRENT_USER,SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision\\aports\\Manager 52=HKEY_CURRENT_USER,SOFTWARE 53=HKEY_CURRENT_USER,SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision 54=HKEY_CURRENT_USER,SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision\\aports 55=HKEY_CURRENT_USER,SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision\\aports\\Manager 56=HKEY_CURRENT_USER,SOFTWARE 57=HKEY_CURRENT_USER,SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision 58=HKEY_CURRENT_USER,SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision\\aports 59=HKEY_CURRENT_USER,SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision\\aports\\Manager 60=HKEY_CURRENT_USER,SOFTWARE 61=HKEY_CURRENT_USER,SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision 62=HKEY_CURRENT_USER,SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision\\aports 63=HKEY_CURRENT_USER,SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision\\aports\\Manager 64=HKEY_CURRENT_USER,SOFTWARE 65=HKEY_CURRENT_USER,SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision 66=HKEY_CURRENT_USER,SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision\\aports 67=HKEY_CURRENT_USER,SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision\\aports\\Manager 68=HKEY_CURRENT_USER,SOFTWARE 69=HKEY_CURRENT_USER,SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision 70=HKEY_CURRENT_USER,SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision\\aports 71=HKEY_CURRENT_USER,SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision\\aports\\Manager 72=HKEY_CURRENT_USER,SOFTWARE 73=HKEY_CURRENT_USER,SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision 74=HKEY_CURRENT_USER,SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision\\aports [AlwaysRemoveRegKeys] 0=HKEY_CURRENT_USER,SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision count=3 1=HKEY_CURRENT_USER,SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision\\aports 2=HKEY_CURRENT_USER,SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision\\aports\\Manager [RegNames2] 0=HKEY_CURRENT_USER||SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision\\aports\\Manager||State|| || ||2337085335 count=18 1=HKEY_CURRENT_USER||SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision\\aports\\Manager||Height|| || ||3786464572 2=HKEY_CURRENT_USER||SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision\\aports\\Manager||Page0ColumnMask|| || ||4270044122 3=HKEY_CURRENT_USER||SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision\\aports\\Manager||Page0ColumnW0|| || ||2499854152 4=HKEY_CURRENT_USER||SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision\\aports\\Manager||Page0ColumnW1|| || ||2070343478 5=HKEY_CURRENT_USER||SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision\\aports\\Manager||Page0ColumnW2|| || ||2412730223 6=HKEY_CURRENT_USER||SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision\\aports\\Manager||Page0ColumnW3|| || ||3930706110 7=HKEY_CURRENT_USER||SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision\\aports\\Manager||Page0ColumnW4|| || ||2412730223 8=HKEY_CURRENT_USER||SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision\\aports\\Manager||Page0ColumnW5|| || ||3930706110 9=HKEY_CURRENT_USER||SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision\\aports\\Manager||Page0ColumnW6|| || ||2499854152 10=HKEY_CURRENT_USER||SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision\\aports\\Manager||Page0ColumnW7|| || ||2671499517 11=HKEY_CURRENT_USER||SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision\\aports\\Manager||Page0ColumnW8|| || ||2647020687 12=HKEY_CURRENT_USER||SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision\\aports\\Manager||OnTop|| || ||3840997363 13=HKEY_CURRENT_USER||SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision\\aports\\Manager||Update Speed|| || ||2949391608 14=HKEY_CURRENT_USER||SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision\\aports\\Manager||Width|| || ||746138687 15=HKEY_CURRENT_USER||SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision\\aports\\Manager||X|| || ||558161692 16=HKEY_CURRENT_USER||SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision\\aports\\Manager||Y|| || ||558161692 17=HKEY_CURRENT_USER||SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision\\aports||InstallPath|| || ||129818970 [AlwaysRemoveRegNames2] 0=HKEY_CURRENT_USER||SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision\\aports\\Manager||State count=18 1=HKEY_CURRENT_USER||SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision\\aports\\Manager||Height 2=HKEY_CURRENT_USER||SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision\\aports\\Manager||Page0ColumnMask 3=HKEY_CURRENT_USER||SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision\\aports\\Manager||Page0ColumnW0 4=HKEY_CURRENT_USER||SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision\\aports\\Manager||Page0ColumnW1 5=HKEY_CURRENT_USER||SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision\\aports\\Manager||Page0ColumnW2 6=HKEY_CURRENT_USER||SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision\\aports\\Manager||Page0ColumnW3 7=HKEY_CURRENT_USER||SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision\\aports\\Manager||Page0ColumnW4 8=HKEY_CURRENT_USER||SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision\\aports\\Manager||Page0ColumnW5 9=HKEY_CURRENT_USER||SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision\\aports\\Manager||Page0ColumnW6 10=HKEY_CURRENT_USER||SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision\\aports\\Manager||Page0ColumnW7 11=HKEY_CURRENT_USER||SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision\\aports\\Manager||Page0ColumnW8 12=HKEY_CURRENT_USER||SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision\\aports\\Manager||OnTop 13=HKEY_CURRENT_USER||SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision\\aports\\Manager||Update Speed 14=HKEY_CURRENT_USER||SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision\\aports\\Manager||Width 15=HKEY_CURRENT_USER||SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision\\aports\\Manager||X 16=HKEY_CURRENT_USER||SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision\\aports\\Manager||Y 17=HKEY_CURRENT_USER||SOFTWARE\\SmartLine Vision\\aports||InstallPath [Strings] IDS_STRING1=Are you sure you want to completely remove the selected application and all of its components? IDS_STRING2=Confirm File Deletion IDS_STRING3=The system indicates that the following shared file is no longer used by any programs. IDS_STRING4=Remove Shared File? IDS_STRING5=Uninstall successfully completed. IDS_STRING6=Uninstall IDS_STRING7=If any programs are still using this file and it is removed, those programs may not function. Are you sure you want to remove the shared file? IDS_STRING8=Uninstall was partially successful. IDS_ADMINPRIVILEGESNEEDED=Administrative privileges are needed to uninstall this software. IDS_YES=&Yes IDS_NO=&No IDS_YESTOALL=Yes to &All IDS_REMOVINGFILE=Removing File:

Most are not going to do it. No joe blow home user or anybody else for that matter is going to go through all of that. And not in any shop that I have been in as a programmer. Now, if anything had to be installed on a machine that the user didn't have admin rights, then someone from Tech Support that had Admin rigths came to the machine or logged on remotely and did the install of the software.

The OCX as/is a DLL has to be registered. No EXE that I know about or I have programmed has to be registered. The OCX which most likely is some 3rd party OCX as/is a Dll will have to be registered on the machine to be used by the EXE or in the VS IDE such as VS 6 for a given solution/project that was compiled into an EXE can use the OCX.Dll in the solution. I myself have never ever seen an OCX or ActiveX control that was not created as/is a Dll to be used with the EXE and the Dll must be registered with the O/S.

That doesn't hold true for a .Net solution as no dll(s) are registered with the O/S and only needed to be in the same directory as the exe. However, there is one execption in that a .NET COM+ dll must be regesitered on the COM+ server and that must be done with an account running with Admin rights. .Net will attempt to register the dll at the COM+ server by itself but if it does it running with an account that doesn't have Admin rights, it will fail.

Duane :) .

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.