Should I allow MSDTC in my DMZ?

I've got a fairly typical dmz setup as below:

Internet (External) Watchguard Firewall (80 and 443 open) MS Windows 2003 Web Servers (in a workgroup) (Internal) MS ISA Firewall (80, 443 and 1433 open) MS Windows 2003 Db Servers

We now have a requirement to use MSDTC on the web servers and blow the following holes in our internal firewall:

Open 135 RPC EPM (end point mapper) Open 1433 TDS SQL traffic when using TCP/IP Open 1434 SQL 2000 Integrated Security Open 5100-5200 MSDTC [Dynamically assigned a port by the EPM]

I'm worried that these extra ports will be a security risk so my question is not how to do this, rather should I do this? Obviously there's always a risk opening extra ports, but is it common/normal to run MSDTC in the DMZ? Should I ask the developers to adopt a different solution?

Regards,

Daniel

Reply to
bryars
Loading thread data ...

Unless you need them: obviously not.

As long as everything is properly authenticated, neither DCE-RPC nor MSDTC nor SQL-over-SSLed-TCP are problematic.

Reply to
Sebastian G.

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.