Security Configuration.

Hiya, How can Vista (no router) be configured not to use TCP/IP as transport protocol for NetBIOS, SMB and RPC, thus leaving TCP/UDP ports 135,137-139 and 445 closed. The best to my understanding is that Seconfig and the application offered by

formatting link
work with WinXP only. TIA

Reply to
Yvonne York
Loading thread data ...

That they're only written for Windows XP doesn't mean that it stop working as intended for newer versions of Windows. In fact they included some changes to address Windows Server 2003 upon my request.

Reply to
Sebastian G.

Wow, I had no idea. That's what I call foresight! I'm going to utilize Seconfig on my Vista machine. Thank you very big, Sebastian :-)

I was wondering if you also could request the authors of the programs to add a note to their respective website stating that the script/configuration is Vista compatible.

Thanks again.

Reply to
Yvonne York

It has nothing to do with foresight, but rather how Microsoft decides to keep features and to keep things unchanged for the sake of compatibility.

If one would be really thorough there had to be a warning to never ever use Windows Vista because it's trivially insecure in any configuration.

Reply to
Sebastian G.

Okay then. So the credit goes to Microsoft.

You're sidetracking...oh well. It doesn't take much effort following the herd...so far so good.

Reply to
Yvonne York

SG; The information you provided is wrong! SeconfigXP does *not* work with Vista! And I believe that this may be the case with the ntsvcf program also. Since the respective websites don't mention anything about Vista at all...I should've known better, oh well. Thanks for nothing and have a wonderful day.

Reply to
Yvonne York

Hi Yvonne,

Since the latest version of SMB (which used to use the NetBIOS ports) has been replaced with CIFS (which uses TCP 445); unbinding NetBIOS from TCP/IP will not close 445 down.

The new version of CIFS does not need NetBIOS, hence you can access UMB shares by using the \\\\ipa.ddr.ess.poo

Only by removing 'File and Printer Sharing' can that be closed.

Reply to
Intuitive

Thanks for response Jason. BTW, Davies of Seconfig advised that a Vista compatible version is in the making.

Reply to
Yvonne York

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.