Schools subnet = 10.0.0.1 Classes subnet 10.0.0.1 can't connect to internet

Schools subnet = 10.0.0.1 Class subnet 10.0.0.1 -- can't connect to internet

Don't know if this is exactly a firewall issue.

My school allows us to do a little lan gaming in one computer lab. I like to set up my dlink to pass out 10.0.0.x addresses because it's easy to type in. Games and map servers are under 10.0.0.100. My gateway is 10.0.0.1. I connect that to the schools system (lets call it a linksys) which is also a 10.0.0.x subnet.

I use the DLINK because there's a bunch of windows shares I don't want the gamers getting to and it seems to isolate them. But when I have both subnets set to 10.0.0.x I can't seem to connect to the internet. I set the linksys to 192.168.0.x , reset both switches, and suddenly I could hit the net. But of course if I mess something up on the linksys Im dead.

Is the problem with linksys firewall? Or is it a problem that both switches have gateways pointing to 10.0.0.1? I thought that having that as the gateway would just push the traffic out the door to the internet.

TIA Zipper

Reply to
Zipper
Loading thread data ...
[...]
[...]

Some details are missing, so I'll do some guessing here:

Is your "dlink network" set up with the D-link as a router, so that it is the only gateway to the rest of the school network? (Should be, to isolate the networks.) If it is, does it do NAT? If not, you have to make sure you don't distribute the same IP ranges from both units. (The success when you use a different private range suggests that this may be part of your problem.)

If your Dlink is set up as a NAT router, it may have a static external address, probably in the 192.168.x.x range. For it to work you need to set the external address to somewhere in the "linksys" ip subnet and outside the linksys DHCP range, or you could set it to obtain IP automatically (from DHCP), if that's an option.

Reply to
keme

Think of the subnets as streets. You have two "streets" with the same name. How do you get from 123 Elm Street to 145 Elm Street? Are they really on the same street, or on two different streets that have the same name? Honest and true - computers can't read your mind - you have to tell them what to do. When the "street names" (networks) are not the same, there is no confusion of where to go. However, for this to work, hosts on both networks have to know how to reach the "other" network. I suspect your router is NATing the addresses on "your" net, so that they appear to be coming from a single host on the "other" net.

Well, that might be, but does the host on the internet know how to send packets back to you - so that you can have a conversation, or is that host just receiving packets from some unknown computer that it doesn't know how to talk to. At every step from "here" to "there" everyone has to know how to send packets to "here" and to "there" If it can't find "here" or "there" there is no conversation - no connection.

Old guy

Reply to
Moe Trin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.