School network Security

I am working as a school librarian. How do i keep my students off of facebook and Youtube? What's the best freeware program for this? best program at any level?

TIA

Reply to
GeorgeMcFly
Loading thread data ...

Please don't multi post. Cross posting a few well chosen groups is preferred. I did give an answer to your question in .misc though.

Reply to
Todd H.

sorry. will delete.

Reply to
GeorgeMcFly

it is VERY simple if you can edit the Hosts file in the computers. Blocking those addresses at the originating points is the easiest way, and FREE

Reply to
Hp

An excellent filter is available in Untangle (free program which turns an old computer (with 2 network cards) into a great filter and security device.

formatting link
gr

Reply to
gr

Hello, George...

See

formatting link
It is a Self-installing Linux firewall optimized for schools. And has a configurable content filter. Also traffic shaping and other things.

Peter

GeorgeMcFly schrieb:

Reply to
Peter Buzanits

X-No-Archive: Yes

Using two network cards is not possible with newer computers. They are making computers now with NO PCI slots, so the only Ethernet port you would have would be the one built into the motherboard.

When I got one new computer, I had to switch from cable to DSL service with multiple IPs, and have all the computers hook to the DSL through the switch, becuase of the lack of a PCI slot to insert an extra Ethernet interface. The only method of using one computer as a router, and two NIC cards was no longer possible on my network, becuase of no PCI slots.

I had to switch, here at the radio station, from cable to DSL, so I could get the multiple IPs to put all the PCs on the network, when I put in a new gateway machine here. I cannot use one new expensive sound card I purchased becuase I do not have any PCI slot to put it into.

Computers really did change in the 3 years or so without having to buy a new one. There are no PCI slots, and no COM or LPT ports on newer machines. I had to buy an Ethernet capable printer and put that on my network, in order to be able to print anything. I could not use the printer I had becuase I had no LPT or COM port to plug it into.

So make sure you have the PCI slots available for extra NIC cards, if you intend to use something like Untangle, of some other kind of software routers/file sharing solutions. Some newer machines will NOT have them. No PCI slots mean you cannot install an extra NIC interface.

Reply to
Chilly8

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.