Router Quit Working

I'm using an old D-Link DL-704 router primarily as a firewall on my Mac running OS X 10.5. Suddenly the router stopped working. The cables checked out ok, but my Comcast internet connection doesn't work unless I bypass the router. Comcast's customer support suggested contacting D-Link, but I doubt they'll support a piece of gear this old. Is a hardware firewall necessary with a Mac running 10.5? If it is a good idea to keep it, might there be some settings I can change on the router to get it to work again?

Thanks.

Reply to
fleemo17
Loading thread data ...

A MAC is not bullet proof. It can be hacked just like any other O/S that's exposed to the internet and doesn't have proper protection.

Routers don't last forever go buy another one.

Reply to
Mr. Arnold

Unless your time is worth very little, I'd say it's time to buy a new router.

However, trying to contact the router via its config webpage, updating to latest firmware are all easy enough to try before replacing it.

Reply to
Todd H.

Oh and don't forget to power cycle the cable modem when changing the device that's connected to it. On power up, the cable modem remembers the MAC of the device connected to it, I believe, and I've seen cases where it will only talk to it as a result.

Power cycling the modem reinitiates this learning process, I believe.

Reply to
Todd H.

It may not be a problem with your router. I had that happen twice with a Linksys router and my Motorola SB5120 modem. The first time, it started working after a few hours (yes, I tried all sorts of reboots and even a different router!!) The second time, I hit the standby button on top of the modem to put it in standby, then hit it again to take it out. It suddenly started passing data.

It's weird in that the router does get a valid DHCP address, but nothing will pass through. It's as if NAT is being blocked. If the standby on/off works for you, then maybe it's some obscure bug in the modem?

Reply to
Andrew Rossmann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.