router contains a built-in switch versus router without a built-in switch

What's the differences between

router contains a built-in switch and router without a built-in switch??

Some routers even have built-in firewall.

I saw many routers in the market has built-in switch, but I don't know why, and what's the advantages?

please advise. thanks!!

Reply to
jrefactors
Loading thread data ...

The combination might be cheaper than the two parts separately. And then it's only one thing to plug in.

It's like stereo equipment. You can buy a receiver, or you can buy separate amplifier and tuner and connect them together.

Reply to
CJT

A router with a built-in switch works on the same principles as a standalone switch. A router with a built in switch can be configured to just be a switch and not a router by disabling the DHCP server on the router and then it's just a standalone switch.

formatting link
I don't know about routers without a built-in switch.

Some routers use a packet filter FW solution like SPI some don't and some routers use more than SPI a more powerful packet filter.

Most NAT routers for home usage fall into the category of the link below.

formatting link
About firewalls

formatting link
What does a computer, router or appliance running a network/Internet FW do?

formatting link

see link above about hubs and switches

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

If routers are also switches, then they're offering both of these two functionalities:

formatting link
A router works layer 3, a switch works layer 2 in the OSI reference model, see
formatting link

That usually means, that the devices have some extra filtering functionality.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

| | A router with a built-in switch works on the same principles as a standalone | switch. A router with a built in switch can be configured to just be a | switch and not a router by disabling the DHCP server on the router and then | it's just a standalone switch. | |

formatting link
| | I don't know about routers without a built-in switch. |

| | Some routers use a packet filter FW solution like SPI some don't and some | routers use more than SPI a more powerful packet filter. | | Most NAT routers for home usage fall into the category of the link below. | |

formatting link
| | About firewalls | |
formatting link
| | What does a computer, router or appliance running a network/Internet FW do? | |
formatting link
|

| | see link above about hubs and switches | | Duane :) |

Duane:

Disabling DHCP on a Router with an E-Switch is often insufficient. uPnP would also have to be disabled. There have been posts about this here, in dcom.modems.cable and dcom.xdsl. Disabling the Router part will depend upon the vendor and model Router+E-switch.

One last point. SOHO Router's with built-in E-switches tend to have high switching latencies. Thus their cheap price. This may or may not be a problem in a SOHO environment. For those that need excellent transfer rates between LAN nodes, they may choose to get a Router without an E-switch and get a managed E-switch from; Foundry, Nortel,

3Com, CISCO, etc.
Reply to
David H. Lipman

OK, I'll go with the uPuP thing, but most of the time that's disabled by default is it not? It's been awhile since I last looked at a router for home usage.

But for the average home user network where a router was converted into a switch to plug into a gateway router of FW appliance, I don't think it's much of a concern. I did that with the Linksys BEFW11S4 v1 router and for wired or wireless machines using it as a switch, I didn't notice anything. It was business as usual.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

|>>

|>> A router with a built-in switch works on the same principles as a

|>> switch. A router with a built in switch can be configured to just be a |>> switch and not a router by disabling the DHCP server on the router and

|>> it's just a standalone switch. |>>

|>>

formatting link
|>>

|>> I don't know about routers without a built-in switch. |>>

|>>

|>> Some routers use a packet filter FW solution like SPI some don't and

|>> routers use more than SPI a more powerful packet filter. |>>

|>> Most NAT routers for home usage fall into the category of the link

|>>

|>>

formatting link
|>>

|>> About firewalls |>>

|>>

formatting link
|>>

|>> What does a computer, router or appliance running a network/Internet FW

|>>

|>>

|>> see link above about hubs and switches |>>

|>> Duane :) |>>

| | OK, I'll go with the uPuP thing, but most of the time that's disabled by | default is it not? It's been awhile since I last looked at a router for home | usage. |

| | But for the average home user network where a router was converted into a | switch to plug into a gateway router of FW appliance, I don't think it's | much of a concern. I did that with the Linksys BEFW11S4 v1 router and for | wired or wireless machines using it as a switch, I didn't notice anything. | It was business as usual. | | Duane :) |

Duane:

I can't speak for all models of all vendors but, uPnP does come disabled on Linksys.

You are right, the avg. user won't see the latency. However, I have seen it when Ghosting across a BEFSR81 so I ran some tests with like equipment in 100Mb/s Full-Duplex . When I used an Intel (discontinued) managed E-switch I got much higher transfer rates than with the BEFSR81. This translated to Ghosting across the wire took much more time to complete on the BEFSR81. Unlike the BEFSR41, the BEFSR81 supports QoS and is intended for the business user.

Reply to
David H. Lipman

If I only want to connect to 3 PC in a LAN, the router has 4 ethernet ports and it can do the job. If I want to connect more than 4 PC, then I need a switch. This is the scenario of two parts separately.

I still don't understand because router with built-in switch has 4 ports also, how does it function as the combination of router and switch together?

Here's different types of routers I looked at:

formatting link
BEFSR41 EtherFast® Cable/DSL Router with 4-Port Switch V4.0 (4 ports) BEFSR11 EtherFast® Cable/DSL Router (1 port) BEFSR81 EtherFast® Cable/DSL Router with 8-Port Switch V3.0 (8 ports)

Another question, if the router has more than 1 port, then it must be router with built-in switch. Is that correct assumption? Because the traditional broadband router should only has 1 port?

please advise more... thanks!!

Reply to
jrefactors

in essence, its switch has 5 ports -- the fifth one hooks (internally) to the router -- but they say it has 4 ports because those are the external ones you can see

formatting link

I had one of these. I wasn't happy with it. I suspect I wouldn't be happy with the others, either.

yes (theoretically it could be a hub rather than a switch, but I doubt anybody does that)

Because the

Reply to
CJT

< snip >

| | yes (theoretically it could be a hub rather than a switch, but I doubt | anybody does that) |

< snip >

An Ethernet switch can NOT be a hub. Hubs only re-time signals. Hubs are basically multi-port repeaters. Switches have active electronics to decide what MAC address packet goes to what port and have a cache to memorize MAC addresses. On an E-switch, each port is a collision domain. On a hub all ports are on the same collision domain. Therefore a E-switch can not be a hub and vice versa. This is not theory, it is a fact.

As for the Linksys Routers they are all good. Albeit, I have yet to install a BEFSR41 v4.0

You had one. I have installed many !

I have installed numerous BEFSR41 v1, v2 and v3 Routers. No problems with any. I am presently using a BEFSR81, a business class Router that support QoS. I have installed all v1, v2 and v3 but just nearly as many as the BEFSR41 models.

The BEFSR11 is a waste unless one already owns or plans to own a managed Ethernet switch.

Reply to
David H. Lipman

| If I only want to connect to 3 PC in a LAN, the router has 4 ethernet | ports and it can do the job. If I want to connect more than 4 PC, then | I need a switch. This is the scenario of two parts separately. | | I still don't understand because router with built-in switch has 4 | ports also, how does it function as the combination of router and | switch together? | | Here's different types of routers I looked at: | |

formatting link
| | BEFSR41 EtherFast® Cable/DSL Router with 4-Port Switch V4.0 (4 ports) | BEFSR11 EtherFast® Cable/DSL Router (1 port) | BEFSR81 EtherFast® Cable/DSL Router with 8-Port Switch V3.0 (8 ports) | | Another question, if the router has more than 1 port, then it must be | router with built-in switch. Is that correct assumption? Because the | traditional broadband router should only has 1 port? | | please advise more... thanks!!

Get the Linksys BEFSR41. It will allow you to connect four computers (or any TCP/IP Ethernet devices such as a Print Server or a game box [ XBox, Playstation/2, etc.]) If you plan on 5 or more computers than you can gert the BEFSR81.

You said "...how does it function as the combination of router and switch together? "

Think of the device as a Black Box. On the input side (WAN) it connects to an Internet IP address. On the output side (LAN) it fans out to four connections. Inside that Black Box, the device uses Network Address Translation (NAT) to take a WAN IP address (i.e;

71.254.72.3) and based upon the requests made by a PC on the LAN side will translate the IP address to a Private Address such as 192.168.1.100.

All you have to know is that the device uses NAT to convert any of the addresses in the following range (192.168.1.2 ~ 192.168.1.254) to the address obtained from the Internet side. That's the NAT Router part. On the LAN side you can connect up to 253 computers. This is obtained by chainingg hubs or Ethernet switches to the LAN side of the Router. The BEFSR81 already supplies you with 8 ports for up to 8 computers. The BEFSR41 already supplies you with 4 ports for up to 4 computers. However if you chain an Ethernet switch (or hub but switches are preferred) than you can multiply the number of computers.

For example; Using the BEFSR41 and a 12-port Ethernet switch that has 1 upload port and 12 usable ports. Three computers would connect to the BEFSR41. The Ethernet switch's upload port would be connected to the fourth port on the BEFSR41. Thus with this combination, you can have up to

15 Ethernet devices using the Router.
Reply to
David H. Lipman

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

The links below explain connecting two Linksys routers together. It doesn't matter which ones or if it's wired or a wireless router or any brand name of routers for home usage like D-link, Netgear, Belkin and whatever.

The long version

formatting link
The short version

formatting link

You disable the DHCP server on the router, then it's no longer a router it's a switch. It has the same functionality as if you went out and brought a dedicated *switch* box and plugged it into the gateway router.

Even when the router is in router mode, it's using the built-in switch technology for overall speed and performance of the router that the router wouldn't have without the *switch* technology.

AGAIN

formatting link

Reply to
Duane Arnold

A router is doing packet forwarding in a special way in layer 3, while a switch is doing frame forwarding in layer 2, see:

formatting link

No. A router at least has two network interfaces, because it's a multi-homed host.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

That's like saying red can't be green. I didn't say a hub could be a switch. I said a hub could be combined with a router, just as a switch can be combined with a router. But I doubt anybody does.

Hubs only re-time signals. Hubs are basically

address packet

each port is

BEFSR41 v4.0

have installed

Ethernet switch.

>
Reply to
CJT

No, if you disable the router function (or just don't connect the WAN link), then it's no longer a router. It can still function as a DHCP server without being a router.

If you disable the DHCP server, then it's no longer a DHCP server (yet another function built into the same box).

It has the same functionality as if you went out and

Reply to
CJT

BEFSR41 v4.0

I suppose YMMV. I had problems with mine. This was when they first came out, and the firmware was pretty unstable (and, IMHO, buggy).

have installed

Ethernet switch.

.... or an unmanaged switch.

Reply to
CJT

CJT wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@prodigy.net:

Well of course that's a given that you connect it to a LAN port on the gateway router and DHCP is disabled on the second router that it is just a switch. I don't recall any standalone *switches* that have DHCP.

And what your talking about above would be a double NAT-ed solution if setup properly. I have never used a double NAT-ed solution but I think that's what it is or could possibly be configured into but I could be wrong.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

|>> yes (theoretically it could be a hub rather than a switch, but I doubt |>> anybody does that) |>>

| | That's like saying red can't be green. I didn't say a hub could be a | switch. I said a hub could be combined with a router, just as a switch | can be combined with a router. But I doubt anybody does.

That's not what you said.. What you said is above < snip> and that is what I responded to. Now if you meant something else, your wording made it come out differently.

Reply to
David H. Lipman

responded to.

Apparently I was imprecise, leaving the antecedent to "it" dangling and unclear. Sorry.

Reply to
CJT

These days all home broadband routers contain a built-in switch. Now whether they are good-quality switches vs. standalone switches is a matter of debate.

In the olden days you had home routers that only had one port for the WAN side, and one port for the LAN side, and nothing else. That meant that if you wanted to connect multiple computers to that LAN side, then you had to buy a seperate hub or switch. I had one of those types of routers, it was an old Linksys. I had to connect the LAN port to a hub, and then I could connect computers to the hub.

Now, I hope you know what the difference is between a hub and a switch. If not, then a switch is just a more sophisticated suped-up hub. Whereas hubs had a lot of collisions between packets as multiple computers tried to access the Ethernet simultaneously, the switch took the hub concept and made it a much more managed experience. It's sort of like the difference between a road with traffic lights and a road without.

Actually, all home routers have a built-in firewall. It's a natural feature that emerges from how they work. They can't help but also act as firewalls. They use a feature called NAT (natural address translation) which means that they give all computers in the LAN these special fake IP addresses which can't be seen on the Internet, only the router's own WAN IP address can be seen -- natural firewall.

Avoid having to pay for an additional network component, if everything is built in. Cheaper to package it all together.

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
Yousuf Khan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.