Route all traffic through Netgear FVS318v3 VPN

I have successfully setup a VPN tunnel between a PC using the Netgear VPN Client Software and a Netgear FVS318v3 router. Here is the setup. I have a client PC running the client software behind a router connected to a cable modem. This client PC's internal IP is 192.168.111.3. I have the FVS318v3 configured as a DHCP server. It's internal IP Address is

192.168.10.1. The external IP Address of the router for example is 63.23.228.125. I can connect using the client and successfully ping the router's internal IP address of 192.168.10.1 from the client. I'm assuming the VPN tunnel is connected and working correctly. What I'm trying to accomplish is to route all of the client's traffic through the VPN for security reasons. I've tried configuring my ip settings on the client machine point it's gateway to 192.168.10.1 and that didn't work. I'm not really for sure if what I'm tryingto do is possible but if it is I would sure appreciate any help that someone could give me.
Reply to
landenmelton
Loading thread data ...

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:1127954292.212270.248590 @g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

What does that mean? What didn't work?

And what's wrong with using a static IP that's in the 192.168.10.xxx range, like the device/gateway IP of the router?

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

By default the FVS318's employ a split tunnel, i.e. anything for the VPN lan goes through the VPN, anything else goes directly to where it likes.

There *should* be a setting in the client software which forces all traffic thru the VPN and denies anything going out the WAN port. This is the preferred way of doing things.

You could also try farting about with the routing rules on either the router or the client PC's. i.e. add a route of 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.10.1 (syntax will vary) which should tell the router/PC that all traffic is to be routed via

192.168.10.1 E.
Reply to
E.

I didn't find any setting in the software that would accomplish this. I'm using the watchguard MUVPN software for testing purposes which is the same software as the Netgear Prosafe Client software. If anyone knows how to do this please let me know.

It won't let me add that static route. It gives me an error of invalid ip address and invalid subnet.

Reply to
landenmelton

The setting (in the watchguard policy setup) is "use default gateway on remote network" This is a setting withinh the VPN user setup on the router, rather than in the software client. I am stuffed if i can recall if this option even exists in the FVS318's. I think you have to force it to use the virtual adapter or something. I need coffee.

Try adding it at the PC - route add 0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0.0 192.168.10.1 metric 3 Bear in mind that this is a complete, utter and total kludge way of doing it, but may be useful for testing. E.

Reply to
E.

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.