Question about Kaspersky Internet Security 2010

I am considering KIS 2010 to replace my KAV 2009 when the subscription expires. My qustion is can KIS 2010 stop programs from accessing the internet without my knowledge (calling home so to speak), if yes, does KIS do this by default or are there settings to change to prevent programs calling home.

TIA

Reply to
BIGEYE
Loading thread data ...

Just like any other personal firewall: not reliably.

cu

59cobalt
Reply to
Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers

But probably more reliably than most. However, the standard setting is to allow against a list of "trusted" programs, constantly updated. You need to change the settings to achieve what you want but I'm not qualified to say what those changes are as I always use the automatic settings. If you ask your question at the Kaspersky forum

formatting link
you'll get answers from very knowledgeable users

Reply to
Wilf

There is no such thing as "more reliably". Reliability is binary. Either you are, or you're not.

cu

59cobalt
Reply to

I'd dispute that point. It's really about probabilities. Say, a 50% chance of something sneaking through, or a 90% chance; I know which one I'd go for if there wasn't a 100% solution.

Reply to
Wilf

How do you calculate those probabilities?

a) An attacker needs only a single successful connection to fully (100%) compromise your security. b) A 100% solution does exist: don't run software you don't trust.

cu

59cobalt
Reply to

I take it you don't know either.

Not really.

Aside the fact that I didn't write anything about "trusting a software

100%": any software I'm using. If I distrusted it enough to waste system resources on monitoring it 24/7 I wouldn't be using it in the first place.

- I have yet to see a single personal firewall user who has done any kind of risk assessment, so "risk management approach" my ass.

- Any personal firewall increases the attack surface on the inside, because they're running additional code, usually with elevated privileges.

- At the point where a personal firewall detects outbound communication, your security has already been compromised.

- Most personal firewalls I've seen don't provide even remotely enough information to enable the user to make a sensible decision. Instead they go "I'm totally important for you, because I just blocked $TOTALLY_DANGEROUS_SOUNDING_ATTACK! See? See?!" Which leads to users getting hysteric about self-update features of software. Which in turn leads to unpatched and thus vulnerable systems.

- Any software that can't be configured to not phone home does not deserve to run on any system anywhere in the universe.

Aside the fact that the OP was concerned about phoning home, not about

0-days: No, you shouldn't. There are sensible measures you can (and should) implement. Installing personal firewalls, however, still isn't among them.

cu

59cobalt
Reply to

Hi there,

I think you should check out

formatting link
there are 2 or 3 produc= ts that may be a match. I think that OESIS Framework at http://www.opswat.c=om/products/oesis-framework provides a single interface to many antivirus a= nd Kaspersky is in that list. Another option is, I think, Metascan at http:=//
formatting link
which is more for ISV. I also found that Kaspersky is certified by OPSWAT at
formatting link

I hope this helps.=20 Regards,=20

Green Angel

Reply to
Green Angel

Hi there,

I think you should check out

formatting link
there are 2 or 3 produc= ts that may be a match. I think that OESIS Framework at http://www.opswat.c=om/products/oesis-framework provides a single interface to many antivirus a= nd Kaspersky is in that list. Another option is, I think, Metascan at http:=//
formatting link
which is more for ISV. I also found that Kaspersky is certified by OPSWAT at
formatting link

I hope this helps.=20 Regards,=20

Green Angel

Reply to
mark.green987

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.