Proxy server in Belgium?

Somebody emailed me, saying they are in London. I have several reasons to believe this person is not who they say they are. So I traced the email back to a TV/cable company in Belgium, using the header info in the email. For reasons I will not get into, I believe this to be accurate.

Is there a possibility that a yahoo email from the UK near London would use a proxy server in Belgium? If so, why would it not show up in the trace?

Thank you.

Reply to
Osyrys
Loading thread data ...

X-No-Archive: Yes

I just happen to be an expert on the use of proxies, since I have often talked of people using proxies either from work, or from more authoritarian countries to avoid filtering.

If someone was in London and emailed you through a proxy in Belgium. It could be they were at work and probably wanted to hide what they were doing from the boss. That is probably what was going on..

Reply to
Chilly8

I'm guessing you're talking about Telenet? In the beginning, the only way to surf with Telenet was through a proxy server (proxy.pandora.be/proxy.telenet.be or

formatting link
/
formatting link
). So I'm guessing this user owns a laptop and hasn't changed his/her browser proxy settings, so he/she is still surfing through the Telenet proxy, even when not in Belgium.

Reply to
s|b

Well, this person claims to never have been in Belgium. I know she's not at work. I just don't understand why it is necessary for an email from the UK to be routed through a Belgium TV company.

Reply to
Osyrys

The other thing is, when I compare the origin of her email with an email from the person I think this is, they go back to the exact same spot in Belgium.

Reply to
Osyrys

If you are, you certainly haven't displayed that expertise publically (and yes, I have seen a number of your postings about proxies.)

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Perhaps it would be helpful to mention *which* Belgian TV company?

Reply to
s|b

here is the info:

% This is the RIPE Whois query server #3. % The objects are in RPSL format. % % Rights restricted by copyright. % See

formatting link
% Note: This output has been filtered. % To receive output for a database update, use the "-B" flag.

% Information related to '85.201.0.0 - 85.201.63.255'

inetnum: 85.201.0.0 - 85.201.63.255 netname: TVCABLENET descr: ELECTRABEL descr: Belgian Cable Modem ISP descr: # Please report abuse to snipped-for-privacy@tvcablenet.be# country: BE admin-c: BH1260-RIPE tech-c: AM6971-RIPE status: ASSIGNED PA mnt-by: tvcablenet-be-ripe-mntner mnt-routes: TELENET-OPS-MNT mnt-domains: tvcablenet-be-ripe-mntner source: RIPE # Filtered

person: Bernard Haine address: Avenue Jean Monnet 2 B-1348 Louvain-La-Neuve BELGIUM phone: + 3210486902 fax-no: + 3210486975 e-mail: snipped-for-privacy@netmanagement.be nic-hdl: BH1260-RIPE source: RIPE # Filtered

person: Andre Medaets address: Avenue Jean Monnet 2 B-1348 Louvain-La-Neuve BELGIUM phone: + 3210486610 fax-no: + 3210486975 e-mail: snipped-for-privacy@netmanagement.be nic-hdl: AM6971-RIPE source: RIPE # Filtered

% Information related to '85.201.0.0/18AS6848'

route: 85.201.0.0/18 descr: TVCABLENET origin: AS6848 mnt-by: tvcablenet-be-ripe-mntner mnt-by: TELENET-OPS-MNT source: RIPE # Filtered

Reply to
Osyrys

Well, I do get interesting people using my proxies. I have one woman out in California who works in radio at night, but has to have another job during the day. She uses my proxy, at her day job, to log into web sites she needs to get ready for her nighttime radio gig, which is her second job, and the boss at her day job has no CLUE as to what she is up to, because she is making an encrypted connection to my proxy.

She is a talk show co-host on one of a sports station there, and she needs to access certain web sites, before she goes on the air in the evening, and by using my proxy, she circumvents the blocking of sports-related web sites, at her day job. The connection is a secure encrypted connection, and cannot be monitored or sniffed. I am always willing to help out someone working in radio who may be just starting out and may have to take a second job elsehwhere. She signs on to my VPN server, and accesses the web sites she needs to get ready for her nighttime radio gig.

Reply to
Chilly8

Idiot. You never did look up "traffic analysis" like I suggested, did you? Just because a message cannot be read does not mean information cannot be gathered form it. And again, if an employee is willfully circumventing company policy, they are rightfully risking their job.

Brian

Reply to
Skywise

However, this woman holds down TWO jobs and MUST access certain websites to get ready for her evening job as a sports radio talk host. So helping someone else, who needs to access certain web sites before they go on the air for their evening job, I have no problem with it and I do NOT see that as unethical.

Reply to
Chilly8

And how is that the day job's problem?

If she "must" access certain websites, then her night time employers should supply an appropriate connection and/or make having said access prior to employment hours a job requirement, in which case she should provide her own access.

This is actually more unethical then your normal, you've gone from helping individuals waste their employer's resources for personal use to helping one company unwittingly subsidize another company.

Reply to
DevilsPGD

"Chilly8" wrote in news:gdj311$qkk$ snipped-for-privacy@aioe.org:

Then she needs to plan her life better, as it WILL catch up to her.

We are already aware of your ethics (or lack thereof).

Brian

Reply to
Skywise

I found another trick to keep us out of the filtering lists of the major filtering providers. I used Sam Spade to find the IP ranges of the networks belonging to the like to WebSense, SurfControl, Sentian, Bess and others, and entered rules into my firewall, which blocks them from accessing my web page. This way, their autmoated "bots" cannot scan my site and categorise it. So I either stay out of filtering lists, or get dropped when they go to scan my lists, but it will appear as it my site is not there, so my site either does not get categorised, or it gets dropped from the filtering lists, which makes me accessible in more schools and workplaces, many of which are reliant on commercial filtering software to guard their networks.

And blocking the filters from scanning my website is LEGAL, and I CANNOT BE PROSECUTED by either the filter vendors, or any of their customers that depend on them to guard their networks. Its MY server, and I am well within my rights to block the filtering vendors' automated bots from accessing my site and categorising it.

And I am seeing the differernce. I am seeing enough listeners on our coverage of one skating event, that the number of "standard" listeners (who can listen without buying a Live 365 VIP membership) has maxed out. And I am seeing connections from office networks all over the place. I have 217 listners right now as I am writing this, nearly all of them coming from office networks in Canada and the USA, where it is still the working hours, so more people can access my site without having to resort to proxies.

Reply to
Chilly8

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.