Problems with free ZAv6-what about NetVeda?

I am running Win98SE on a very old machine (333mhz, 64MB RAM). After upgrading to the (free) ZAv6, I began having all kinds of random problems. Huge slowdowns on the machine, CD drives disappeared, problems booting up, etc. I read through the forums at ZoneLabs and saw others having problems, but no real fixes. I did a clean uninstall of ZA, which seems to have helped slightly. I've also done all kinds of other scans. I am reluctant to reinstall ZA, although I didn't seem to have any problems with v5. I've even seen where people running Win98 have stuck with v4. Any suggestions?

I've also seen recommendations for NetVeda, which looks interesting and says it supports Win98SE. It is said to have a much smaller footprint. System resources are another issue for me. Does anyone have any opinion on this program?

Vanessa

Reply to
Vanessa
Loading thread data ...

You don't need a "Personal Firewall" with Windows 98. Just right click on the outside network interface, and unbind everything but TCP/IP.

And don't forget NOT to use Internet Explorer or Outlook in the Internet, but some alternatives ;-)

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

You still need outlook to read news. You can use other programs for the Web, but you still need Outlook for news.

Reply to
Charles Newman

However, Outlook is the only newsreader that supports accessing a server or proxy on a port other then 119. I have my proxy server for Usenet, on my network, set to 118, which then connects to the Comcast news server on 119. I then block all port 119 access from the network, so that all Usenet traffic from the network has to go into the proxy on port 118. This would not be possible with any other newsreader. Outlook is the only program that will connect to a proxy, server, or peer, on a port other then 119. You should have your server, proxy, or peer, on a port other than 119 anyway, so the script kiddies wont find it and try to exploit it. If its not on 119, the script kiddies wont find it.

Reply to
Charles Newman

And how do I "unbind" everything?

Reply to
Vanessa Stern

No. There are many much better Newsreader applications for Microsoft Windows than Outlook Express.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Charles, you're letting your complete lack of experience show again - any true Usenet Clinet (that means program) will use any port you want it to.

Reply to
Leythos

I hope you would reconsider this command. Usenet is a wonderful tool for finding solutions to common problems and you are preventing your experience from benefiting someone else.

This is not true. The newsreader I use, Xananews, allows port assignment.

Reply to
badgolferman

Well I reckon that Gravity can do this, on account of the fact that in the server properties you can specify the NNTP port (set to 119 initially).

Reply to
Wilf

By removing the other entries. Just open this window and have a look - it's easy.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

No.

VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.