Port function and scanning

Dear Group,

Having recently had troubles with intrusion into my PC I have contacted this group and received a great response.

May I aks for further help. I would like to get answers to the following questions:

1. Is there a good internet document describing ports, their function and role, particularly for the windows OS?

1. Are there trustworthy port scanning services available? Is for example
    formatting link
    of them?

Thank you GR.

Reply to
NoSpam
Loading thread data ...

Cheswick on firewalls is a bit outdated, but a good start.

formatting link
Defining list:

formatting link

How would you know? Do ou trust the answers you get here more than someone witha webpage?

Take a second PC and use nmap.

formatting link
Keep in mind, that a portnumber is just an address. In house 25 usually lives a mail server. But it may be something completely different.

Cheers, Jens

Reply to
Jens Hoffmann

RFC 793 ff.

Definitely not.

Reply to
Sebastian G.

Start here:

formatting link

Try

formatting link

-Gary

Reply to
Gary

Ports are a concept being part of the TCP/IP protocol family. This has nothing to do with Windows. Just read the RFCs, or try Richard Stevens' "UNIX Network Programming".

You could start here, too:

formatting link

Better scan yourself, i.e. using nmap. Port scanning web services are b0rken by concept, because they cannot determine, if your machine has open ports or if the network in between modifies traffic.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Dear Volker,

Thank you for your attenti>Better scan yourself, i.e. using nmap. Port scanning web services are

I am not familiar with programming and related tasks. I have been burned recently by malware and want to make sure it does not happen again.

A Symantec scan has recently shown that all my parts are secure, except the "ping" port, whatever that means.

Your advice to use nmap seems to be a good one and I would like to use it. There is however a learning curve involved. Before I climb it, I would like to make sure nmap will serve my purpose. I have a stand alone PC connected to the net through an ISP. Can I use such a configuration to scan my own ports?

Greet> > 1. Is there a good internet document describing ports, their

Reply to
NoSpam

Well, if you're not, then you should not fiddle around with network-related tasks. Pay a competent service for doing so.

Yes, that shows exactly what to think about this POS.

Now even that should be clear to someone with almost no networking experience: No. Scanning involves sending requests and receiving replies, now that's where you need a second machine (or someone carefully bouncing all traffic forth and pack, but you won't any such machine).

That's why I recommended . This is more or less an interactive web service for Nmap, even though it's a little bit outdated.

Reply to
Sebastian G.

If you have a friend running Linux, or is prepared to run a 'Live' Linux off a CD on his machine (DSL is probably the simplest), you could give him your ipaddress (run 'ipaddress' from a windows console) and get him to scan your machine with nmap.

Jim Ford

Reply to
Jim Ford

There is a version for nmap on windows.

Cheers, Jens

Reply to
Jens Hoffmann

Dear Jim,

Is the proper command for finding one's IP address not 'ipconfig' run from the command prompt?

I don't get a result for putting in 'ipaddress'.

Than you GR.

Reply to
NoSpam

Yes, that is one of the possible ways.

Reply to
Jens Hoffmann

Dear Sebastian,

I do not follow some of your writ> >A Symantec scan has recently shown that all my ports are secure,

and you replied:

Now I still do not know what to think and I also do not know what a POS is.

You advised me to use

This service however requires me to install nmap, something which you advised me a few paragraphs earlier not to do by stating:

network-related

Best regards GR.

Reply to
NoSpam

No it doesn't.

It says: "You should download and install nmap from

formatting link
" and not:

"You should download and install nmap".

Your scan result is a bit further down on the same page.

Greetings, Jens

Reply to
Jens Hoffmann

Yes - sorry!

8^(
Reply to
Jim Ford

"pile of shit"

No, it doesn't. Why do you think so? This service offer you an online port scan with Nmap, by your command line (with some filtering) as input and the full Nmap output as the output.

Reply to
Sebastian G.

Keep console closed and don't type commands you are not familiar with. Check this site.

formatting link
BTW You don't even have to know your IP, just send an e-mail to your nmap friend, and don't disconnect/reconnect your connection. He will know what to do.

Reply to
alf

"NoSpam" wrote in news:tNzfi.1444$s%.606@trnddc02:

A neat little program for Windows is IP2 by Robin Keir. It even shows your computer's lan IP and WAN IP if you are behind a nat router. It's all of 8K size for zip download. Extracted to disk the .exe file is 14K. There are no other files involved nor created by the program later.

formatting link
There's also other neat utilities on his site at

formatting link

Reply to
John Gray

Dear John,

Great suggestion, BUT how can one be sure that the software is safe?

GR.

Reply to
NoSpam

To understand, that a port just is a maintainance number, and what it's for, it could be a good idea to change that a little bit.

It means nonsense. There is no such thing like a "ping port". Why I'm not surprised to find horseplay in a Symantec's text? ;-)

In such a configuration, you don't need any port scanner at all. Just use the netstat command to determine, which ports are used by which processes.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

"NoSpam" wrote in news:gNGfi.3282$cV.1286@trnddc04:

I've used several of his utilities, including K9, a Bayesian antispam POP3 local proxy. All are small, and I've never had malware. I've received infected email messages, and the antivirus has alerted on things downloaded to the browser cache but I've never been infected. I regularly check with AVG, AVG Anti-Spyware, AVG Anti-Rootkit, AdAware, and Spybot Search & Destroy. I trust all his software completely.

Of course, because you don't really know me, all this may mean nothing to you and I can understand some skepticism. I'm the same way, and can't help it. Search around and check out Robin Keir's reputation. I think you'll feel comfortable after a thorough check. He participates regularly in GRC usenet, especially GRC.Spam, GRC.security, and GRC.privacy. The server is news.grc.com and after reading a few threads there you'll be more comfortable about the safety of these programs. Especially, look at Hash on keir.net as it's great for checksums on files

Reply to
John Gray

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.