Port Forwarding PC Anywhere

We are attempting to set up Port Forwarding for PC Anywhere for more than one user (we need to use 5631 and 5632 and other ports). We have set it up in our router (we have tried Linksys and a Netgear router) using Ports 5633, 5634 and then tried using 5635 and 5636 when the first ones didnt work. We made sure Port Forwarding was enabled. We made sure we made the change of the port settings on the remote end of PC Anywhere. We made sure the host was running on the computer we wanted it to be on. To make sure there was not a problem with the computer itself we used the default ports (5631 and 5632) and it will allow us to access the computer. We tried on multiple computers to make sure it was not the computer itself. I am at a loss as to what could be preventing us to use port forwarding. We thought it was the Linksys router so we tried a different brand (Netgear) but that did not solve our problem. Anyone have any ideas?

Reply to
jennf
Loading thread data ...

What do you mean for more than one user? PCAW and port port forwarding on the NAT router on the PCAW ports to a LAN IP/machine that has the host running is only going to work for one user at a time only one user can be connected at any given time.

So you have done this on a LAN situation behind the router and it works and you have no personal FW's active on the host machine. And PCAW is using its default port setting on the host and client machines.

I would suspect that if you are changing ports to something else other than the norm of 5631 and 5632 on the host, then the client must be changed accordingly on the ports too. It can't be the host has been configured to use different ports that the client doesn't know about.

I think you have some kind of mis-configuration between the host and the client on the ports being used possibly and port forwarding on the NAT router has nothing to do with it.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

When I say more than one user I mean - I need to set up a PC Anywhere host on different computers. So I need to set up Port Forwarding so according to which remote is attempting to connect - they will be directed to the correct host. PC Anywhere host doesnt allow you to specify which port you are using - it relies on your to specify that in the router via the port forwarding. It must be set up in the router and on the remote computer in PC Anywhere.

I too suspected it was a firewall on the clients computer so that is why we tried the defaults (5631 and 5632) and it allowed us access so it cant be something on the client computer preventing access.

I suspected the router so thats why we bought a different brand of router.

Logically thinking - the only thing that cares what ports are open is the Router - I can not think what else woud be preventing it from going through.

I use different ports for different clients - on my remote computer so i know it is not anything with the remote computer (just to be sure I tried from a different computer).

Reply to
jennf

I have worked with PCAW on more than a few situations in LAN and WAN situations.

Is this a LAN or WAN situation you're talking about?

I can't be the router and it's something else. The router doesn't care as long as the router is port forwarding the ports to the right LAN IP/machine that has the host running. And is why I always configured the machine's NIC to use a router's static IP and not a DHCP IP from the router that could have changed to a different IP than what the LAN IP on the router has been set to use for port forwarding.

I don't know. If the host machine is using ports other than 5631 and

5632, I don't see how the client machine is going to somehow and mysteriously know that those ports have changed to something else and those are the ports to be used to communicate with the host. It's the client machine that must make the contact.

formatting link
In addition, it there is a corprate FW in play and this is over the Internet, then it has to be accounted for too.

Maybe, the ISP is in play and is preventing it if this is a WAN solution.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold
5631 is TCP, and 5632 is UDP, right? IANA says you need both UDP and TCP. If this didn't help, just ignore. If it does ... been there.
Reply to
<s>

Really? Is the encryption of PC Anywhere sensible now in the newset versions (because of VNC I didn't test any more)? Or would it be a good idea to have an SSH tunnel?

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.