Port closed but no firewall is running

Hi,

I have an x-files problem on my XP. I run torrent lately and have no downloading. So after quick research i've noticed, that there is port forwarding problem:

formatting link
Checking port 39918 on xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx...

Error! Port 39918 does not appear to be open.

Pretty strange becouse i have not such a problem so far. I've disabled my Kerio and still nothing. Win XP FW is disabled too. So I decided to uninstall Kerio to see what happen and port is still closed.

Maybe my ISP configured sth on router, but when i connect other computer to the same line, no problem occurs.

Anyone have any idea what can couse that problem???

Regards Kordian

Reply to
adamczyk.kordian
Loading thread data ...

Maybe, malware or something is running on the machine, it has the port and you don't know it.

Reply to
Mr. Arnold

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com made the point of, On 21/03/2007 14:30:

Have you got a router?

--=20 Regards Hipp=FF

Reply to
Hippÿ

No, no such other software is running on my pc.

And I have direct adsl connection to internet. As I said, other computer connected to usb adsl modem has no such problems. :(

I try to uninstall latest hotfixes from windowsupdate and see what happens

Reply to
adamczyk.kordian

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: > No, no such other software is running on my pc.

What are you talking about here?

How do you know something is not running that has that port in use on that particular machine.

Have you even looked with tools like the NETSTAT command on the O/S, Active Ports program (free) or TCPView program (free) to see what's using the ports >

Well, something got the port blocked, the PFW(s) may be blocking the port or something is running and has the port in use and you don't know it. >

Nothing, you're fishing for straws.

Reply to
Mr. Arnold

Look, whatever port I pick, i have the same error Error! Port XYZ does not appear to be open.

I try on various ports, wide range of numbers and still has that error, doesnt matter if my PFW is running or not.

I run netstat -an, see what ports are open, do the test and..guess what :(

Strange, because if all ports are closed how can I use net, comunicator or emule (when I check the port with

formatting link
I receive error)

UR right. Nothing happened.

Reply to
adamczyk.kordian

I opened port TCP 33333 on the PFW running on this laptop connected on dial-up and then I set a rule on the port to allow all IP(s).

I ran the test on the port. It came back with port not open. Maybe you need to run some tests from some other port testing sites, to test the validity of the site above.

Reply to
Mr. Arnold

Are you sure the app running on both computers is configured similarly. The app needs to listen on the port for anything to happen.

Check with something like TCPview or CurrPorts.

BTW, when connecting your computer directly with the FW turned off make sure your network services are disabled.

Reply to
B. Nice

I just checked an open port with the above link. It correctly reported "OK! Port x is open and accepting connections." So the site test seems to work.

Reply to
B. Nice

Yep

What do you mean by saying "make sure your network services are disabled."

And here my CurrPorts

formatting link
and utorrent config:

formatting link

Reply to
adamczyk.kordian

Well, I did pass that test the port was open. It was on port 80 HTTP as I do have the IIS Webserver running and listening on that port. After I stopped IIS, the test came back the port was closed.

What is meant by the disable the networking services is uncheck Client for MS networks and MS File and Print Sharing on the NIC with a direct connection to the modem with the PFW down so another machine on the Internet cannot network with it on the Windows Networking Ports. That's

137-139 UDP and 445 TCP (NT only).
Reply to
Mr. Arnold

Pretty strange, after i reinstaled hotfixes from february and my vpn client, everything went back to normal. So what was the problem?

Thanks for help. I really appreciate it!

Regards Kordian

Reply to
adamczyk.kordian

Pretty strange, after i reinstaled hotfixes from february and my vpn client, everything went back to normal. So what was the problem?

Thanks for help. I really appreciate it!

Regards Kordian

Reply to
adamczyk.kordian

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.