PIX vpn question

I'm looking at getting a Cisco PIX 506 -

formatting link

With the VPN, does anyone know if you can do a firewall to firewall VPN.

Our current firewall, a nokia ip 350 with checkpoint, has a constant vpn connection to a client who is also running checkpoint. I would like to know if I can still do this same firewall to firewall connection.

All in all there are three devices that I would want to do a 24x7 vpn connection to.

1. The checkpoint firewall
  2. A Cisco Concentrator (im assuming this one will be no problem)
  3. And hopefully a SonicWall Pro 230

Anyone know if I can do this?

Reply to
Eric
Loading thread data ...

For future reference: that's a PIX 506E, not a PIX 506 . The E model is newer and noticably faster but has the same capabilities as the older.

Yes, definitely.

formatting link

Yes.

Yes.

That one I don't know offhand.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

I wouldn't advise getting a 506 as it is not supported in PIX OS 7.x.

I would recommend a 515E or an ASA for future compatibility.

Eric wrote:

Reply to
Boutzev

506E is getting the silent EOL treatment. Not officialy announced but don't expect to see any further software for it.

Now on the otherhand in a few weeks an ASA will appear that will replace the 506E

Reply to
jdobb2001

Do you happen to know the model of the ASA?

Whats the difference of an ASA or a PIX? I always thought PIX was 'the' cisco firewall. Is ASA the next buzzword to put on your resume? lol

Reply to
Eric

The ASA adds

Content Security and Control [CSC] (anti-virus, anti-spyware, file blocking, anti-spam, anti-phishing, URL filtering)

formatting link
{Uses Trend Micro}

Advanced Inspection And Protection [AIP]

formatting link
More integrated ports (but no port expansion)

Active-Active failover

Features sliced, diced, and julienned into more license options for your incompatability and spending pleasure.

The various ASA models range in encryption performance from about the same as a PIX 525, to roughly 2/3 of the performance of a PIX 535. But if you purchase and install the AIP, the cleartext performance goes down to about that of the 515E, 525, or (1.5 x the 525) depending on model.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

formatting link
{Uses Trend Micro}

sounds like what my sonicwall does. network distributed mcAffe. which is the Only thing i like about the sonicwall.

formatting link

they like to do that don't they. Like there support. they break into pieces. i have 400 pieces of support for one device... gotta love it.

Reply to
Eric

We have a Cisco Pix fire wall and we have 18 vpn Connections setup on it i think the limted is 25 on the other end we have linksys VPN End point boxes setup seems to do good job

Reply to
Sawyer(Home)

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.