PIX 515E Spontaneously reboots

Sorry for the cross-posting..

I've recently acquired a 515E with PIX software version 7.0(1). I've noticed after an indeterminate amount of time (5 minutes to hours), the PIX will reboot itself. When this happens, it usually takes a few tries for it to successfully reboot, but it does eventually. I've tried going back to the factory-default configuration (config factory-default) but it still exhibits the same behavior. Any ideas? Or is this just a defective unit that I need to get replaced?

One other thing I've noticed is that sometimes it waits at:

CISCO SYSTEMS PIX FIREWALL Embedded BIOS Version 4.3.207 01/02/02 16:12:22.73 Compiled by morlee

for a long time (~1 minute), displays the message again, waits a bit, and then manages to boot.

Could this be flakey RAM possibly?

All of this does occur w/o any ethernet interfaces connected.

Thanks.

Reply to
jlamanna
Loading thread data ...

Well the PIX will not be that happy without interfaces. I've only dealt with pixes in redundant pairs and after they've been deployed. We have a secondary pix without its redundant primary running and I can tell you it has given us fits when rebooting.

You could setup a standalone switch/hub and plug in the inside/outside and see if it boots more reliably.

I haven't had an oppurtunity to watch a pix boot without interfaces.

Reply to
DigitalVinyl

One of the following is defective: (a) the unit itself (b) the power supply (c) the fit of the power supply connector to the unit (d) the electricity (e) the total load on that particular electrical circuit

If it were a PIX 501, then (c) would be the most likely.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Set up a syslog server and have your PIX syslog to it. If the PIX has some hardware problem, it might log it before rebooting.

Reply to
choowie

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.