Perimeter Firewall/UTM Suggestions?

I'm looking for a device to put at the edge of our network.

I would want it to do the following:

Act as a basic source/dest/protocol/action firewall to allow packets in and out to/from our servers. Have a minimum of 2 DMZ ports. Allow the internal and DMZ interfaces to work in either NAT or Route mode (selectable per interface). Have some sort of URL filtering via an external database i.e. Surfcontrol CPA/ISS Have the means to add/exclude entire domains from this filtering. Some level of IDS. A/V would be nice but not essential. Hardware appliance.

The basic scenario is that outbound access for our LAN users would be handled by a proxy server on the LAN, so for outbound traffic (i.e. concurrent users) all this device would ever see would be the external IP of the proxy, as well as any traffic coming from our DMZ's.

The internet connection will be 100mbps, though I anticipate average usage to be low, and bursty i.e. low average but when someone wants to download a large file it'll burst to as fast as we can get it.

Because of this, and the fact that it won't have to handle connections from hundreds of of LAN machines I'm hoping to be able to look at a fairly low end box.

So far I've been looking (on paper) at:

Juniper SSG 140 Sonicwall 2040 and 3060 Checkpoint VPN-1 Edge ISS Proventia MX1004

But of course there are many manufacturers out there.

I'd appreciate comments and suggestions.

cheers, Paul

Reply to
Paul Hutchings
Loading thread data ...

WatchGuard Firebox X755e - has up WAN, LAN, DMZ and you can add optional

5 other ports (as LAN, DMZ networks).

Does all that you ask above, good support, simple to learn, and if you want GB network connections you can use the x1250e series.

Reply to
Leythos

Personally I like the boxes from Clavister

formatting link
and Fortigate

formatting link
Wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang Kueter

Thanks, just checking those out now.

So far the ISS Proventia looks good.

Also looking at Network Box and Secure Computing Sidewinder - be interested in any views on those.

Reply to
Paul Hutchings

I second the Fortigate suggestion - although i do have a vested interest

formatting link

Reply to
kev

Hi,

I also second on Fortinet choice while ZyXEL UTM products worth a deep look.

ZyXEL UTM appliances are really good ones, I have seen them closely and I do recommend them.

Panda,

Reply to
panda

[.]

My vote would go with Juniper, meets all the above criteria. I have over 28 firewalls in production from SSG5 to ISG1000.

Juniper docs...

formatting link
Might also check out the Juniper forums..
formatting link
formatting link
-alan

Reply to
Alan Strassberg

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.