PC Tools Firewall Plus is now Vista compatible

Version 2.0.0.9 of PC Tools firewall Plus was released today and is Vista compatible. I'm running it now on Vista Business. It installed without incident and so far is playing well with AVG antivirus and SpywareTerminator. Be aware that it doesn't turn off the Windows Firewall - you have to do so manually. Also, by default it doesn't ask permission to allow access for "known" applications. I turned this option off as I want to see the firewall intercept everything for a while.

formatting link

Reply to
Victek
Loading thread data ...

Do you have any info as to how it compares to Comodo?

TIA

Louise

Reply to
louise

It does differ between applications, therefore it should be as bad as Comodo and other software doing so.

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

It's less complex than Comodo Firewall Pro. PC Tools Firewall Plus does not have "application component control" and it does not track the parent/child chain when one app calls another to connect to the internet. In other words, it will ask if you want to allow svchost.exe to connect to the internet, but it doesn't see the application calling svchost.exe. Comodo FP is much better in this respect. Still, if you're running Vista it's a lot better than the built-in firewall which gives no feedback. However, be aware that a problem has been identified with version 2.0.0.9 that causes it to completely block the internet connection. A fix is promised ASAP and I would wait for it before installing the firewall if you have not already. More info can be found in the forums at

formatting link

Reply to
Victek

Thanks. It sounds to me like I would be better off with Comodo. I would like to know what application is calling svchost.exe, for example. I've been using Comodo on my portable for about a month and it seems fine.

I'm coming from using Sygate on my desktop which hasn't been updated in over a year and I'm thinking I should move on. I am running an NAT router as well. So I'm deciding which firewall to use to replace Sygate on my desktop.

BTW, I'm running XP and expect to be doing so for quite a while - at least through the first service pack :-)

Under these circumstances, would there be anything "better" for me about PC Tools?

Thanks again.

Louise

Reply to
louise

WTF? SvcHost is always invoked by the Services.exe service configuration manager. What else?

Or replaced by something working.

You mean your Windows XP installation is still sticking/stinking with Service Pack 1? And you want to achieve any security?

Eh... nothing at all? Windows Firewall? Wipfw? Of course only after the reinstallation of your totally broken system.

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

The fact is that it is XP sp2 with all the critical security upgrades done on a regular basis. I was simply distinguishing it from Vista - in answer to the previous poster.

Louise

Reply to
louise

For XP SP2 I think Comodo is the best freeware firewall available. If I were still running XP I would not switch to PC Tools Firewall Plus. I understand why you prefer to wait for Vista Service Pack 1 before switching to Vista. By then there should be better driver support for legacy hardware as well. I was fortunate to receive a free copy of Vista Business so I had to give up Comodo Firewall Pro temporarily (they are working on a Vista compatible version as we speak).

Reply to
Victek

Thanks - I'll do it.

Louise

Reply to
louise

What makes you think so? I think you would be better off with a security concept.

For what purpose?

I've been using a simple packet filter for my portable for years and it seems fine.

Yes, you need an update ;-)

You're running XP. What's wrong with the build-in one?

Reply to
B. Nice

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.