Outpost firewall prob when shutting down PC (XP SP2)

The point here is that you are just as stubborn as the ones you are pointing fingers at.

/B. Nice

Reply to
B. Nice
Loading thread data ...

Being on the right side is not being stubborn, but I expected a comment like that from you.

Reply to
Leythos

Ditto.

/B. Nice

Reply to
B. Nice

You're defnitely some Euro trash weenie, one can easily tell from your goofy sense of humour.

Reply to
Garrot

It's for a 007-Goofy-Carrot-Fish. You're such the Euro fish and you're one of the goofy Euro trash fish at that. You're the kind of goofy Euro Trash fish that you will jump out of the water, put a hook in your mouth and your butt, and you won't get out of the boat.

I may have to call your mama after she finishes shaving her back and tell her to come get her *boy*. He's loose again and he's playing in the river.

You put yourself here. I didn't put you here. ;-)

I'll keep casting the line.

EOR

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Ahahahahahahahahahhahahahahha! I certainly doubt it.

Reply to
optikl

You've been casting the line? Grandeurs of delusion is more like it. Stay away from Duane kiddies, he's not quite right in the head.

Reply to
Garrot

Is that right? Say it's not so little Agent. Say it's not so little Agent.

Little Agent shows up in the NG and tries to prove himself. He thinks his shit don't stink and he knows it all, because he's the little smart mouth Agent. He is just another dime a dozen *clown* that shows up in the NG at least once a year. It never fails.

It's the same song and dance, just another *clown*. ;-)

We've all seen it before little Agent. You're not special.

EOR

Reply to
Duane Arnold

I've been posting and reading here for years, dork. Too bad you can't accept the fact that a firewall with outbound protection can be of use against some shitware. Oh right, you're a developer of shitware yourself so that explains it.

Reply to
Garrot

Oh, should I call you Garrot aka 007-Carrot Shitware Secret Agent with the *World's Dirtiest Job* now? What oh what are you doing with your computer 007-Carrot?

If you have been coming here for years, then you should know better than this and that you can't stop an enema. You CANNOT do it with toilet paper. Toilet pager CAN'T stop shit.

Up until now, I never noticed your dumbass before. Therefore, you must have been insignificant. Did you learn your smart mouth tactics over the years too?

I am kicking back in the boat and the poll is over the side.

I'll be here casting as long as you want to be here boy. ;-)

EOR - Equal Oppertunity Ragger

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Toilet paper CAN'T stop shit.

EOR

Reply to
Duane Arnold

You won't catch any fish without any bait.

Reply to
Garrot

Oh, so you admit that you are a fish? I already told you that you were a Euro Trash fish a bottom feeder. They usually eat other's *shitware*.

Your shit is so weak at the game that's it pathetic. You can even come back with anything worth a decent return gun fire on my part. ;-)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Applications can do that in exactly two cases:

a) UPnP is enabled and allowed to make changes to the firewall. b) The application is run with admin privileges.

UPnP should rather be disabled anyway, so a) is not an issue, and in the case of b) any application has full control over the system anyway, so there's no way of stopping it from doing anything it pleases.

Anyone who feels he needed this can install PortReporter [1], which has much less impact on system resources than any personal firewall I have seen up to now.

[1]
formatting link
cu 59cobalt
Reply to
Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers

So, we're back to where Windows firewall is a open path in-bound concerning malware and most all other firewall solutions at least have a hope of blocking the malware from creating an exception or at least warning the user about it as/before it's done.

Reply to
Leythos

No. Read again.

cu

59cobalt
Reply to

Both cases are the typical default on a Windows computer installed by non-technical & non-security types. The response stands.

Reply to
Leythos

Then the reasonable measure is to change this, NOT to install additional software.

The response is pointless. In a case where an application is run with admin privileges all bets are off and you'll depend on sheer luck whether any other software will or won't catch anything malicious this software may attempt. So if you like to base your security concepts on luck: be my guest. I don't, and I won't recommend doing so to anyone. Especially not on a security newsgroup.

cu

59cobalt
Reply to

No, the entire point was, on a default installation, is there anything that protects a user better than the Windows Firewall.

You won't get users to change their settings, to change that they use an Administrator account, etc... At least not for most of them. So, it stands, can ZoneAlarm and other products protect a user more than Windows Firewall can?

In almost 30 years of using computers, designing networks, having customers use my designs, I've only had one case were a customer was compromised, and the firewall alerted me to it - it was a laptop while outside of the company and their home network.

The solutions implemented have passed SOX and Homeland Defense security audits, in addition to HIPAA audits....

Based on what I've personally seen in the field, Windows Firewall provides less protection than any major PFW solution on the market for non-technical users, and I stand behind that statement 110%.

Reply to
Leythos

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.