Outpost firewall prob when shutting down PC (XP SP2)

I use Outpost firewall on a XP SP2 system (NOD 32 as antivir soft).

When I shut down the PC I see a message telling "do you want to stop Outpost service....." and both if I say yes or not the comp takes a lot of time to switch off.

I tried to search into Outpost properties to find an option kind of "stop Outpost without asking" or something like that but no luck".

Any hint, please?

Thank you

Marky

Reply to
themark
Loading thread data ...

formatting link

BTW, Outpost is not really a firewall. It's a badly implemented packet filter.

/B. Nice

Reply to
B. Nice

"B. Nice" ha scritto nel messaggio news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Which FW would you advice then? Thanks

Reply to
themark

Sincere condolences.

Because Outpost has sincere security design flaws, maybe you could consider using just the Windows-Firewall.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Assuming that you are talking about protecting the machine you are using yourself - none.

What to put instead would depend on your configuration and needs.

Having a look at previous threads could also be helpful.

/B. Nice

Reply to
B. Nice

If you want application filtering,stick with outpost and ask at the forums.Windows firewall has had bugs too. me

Reply to
bassbag

If you want application filtering for the purpose of trying to control malware you are in trouble.

Also by design?

/B. Nice

Reply to
B. Nice

Do you know the security design flaws Outpost has? And: what "bugs" are you talking about?

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

You can ask at outpost forums if your not sure about outpost design ,and google is your friend regarding windows firewall bugs. me

Reply to
bassbag

Thanks for your opinion...and google is your friend regarding windows firewall. me

Reply to
bassbag

I'm pretty sure about Outpost's design, because we tested it. Outpost has bad security design flaws, for example it installs a system service, which opens windows and therefore makes your PC vulnerable to privilege elevation attacks, and it makes a PC vulnerable to the SelfDoS attack.

It isn't. I can't find what you're claiming. May I ask you to specify what you're meaning and to offer proofs, please?

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Perhaps youd better not use outpost then if you feel insecure.

You havent looked hard enough. me

Reply to
bassbag

Then show us! Until then I will assume you are FOS. Outpost is an annoying piece of software. The only other software I have found more annoying is Anti-Hook.

Reply to
Garrot

Assume what you wish....perhaps you should google on how to google and get results?. me

Reply to
bassbag

You better watch out bass. Garrot aka 007-Carrot Spyware Secret Agent and kin to 000-Dennis-Le-Menice his daddy seems to be on another Mission Impossible. You should request that he prove to us that he is not on something, because he is for sure looking like he needs maximum strength meds of some sort. ;-)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Hehe...very funny Duane. The only "tripping" i see so often here, is of the "ego" kind. me

Reply to
bassbag

"bassbag" ha scritto nel messaggio news: snipped-for-privacy@news.ispserve.co.uk...

jeez, I only asked for a hint, did not want to start a fuss like this everyone seems to be hurted personally maybe this is the one and only time I will post here

Reply to
themark

If you had taken the time to do a little research back in the group first, you would have known ;-)

I don't see that. However, I do see some posters taking the word security in the group name seriously.

Your choice. But one can actually learn something from time to time by reading this newsgroup. And luckily there are different opinions to almost any topic.

Just my personal opinion.

/B. Nice

Reply to
B. Nice

I don't use it.

Really? Or don't you know what you're talking about?

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Good for you.

I do...its you that seem confused. me

Reply to
bassbag

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.