Take a tour of OpenDNS here:

formatting link
And see:
formatting link
D

Reply to
Derio
Loading thread data ...

Threats like Conficker are mitigated by secure system configuration (i.e. not making services publicly available that aren't supposed to be publicly available). Trying to mitigate them by manipulating DNS is an utterly stupid thing to do.

cu

59cobalt
Reply to
Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers

DNS mitigation has of sense as well as having secure system configuration, if done in conjuction.

If I have a gun, bulletproof vest and bodyguards it does not mean it is wise to visit dangerous places.

Reply to
Poutnik

Heheh, only script kiddies are going after publicly available services.

Because of the NATing routers and people finally installing firewalls, Black hats have long since moved to going after exploits in the applications reading Internet content (document, video, audio viewer/players....)

Reply to
Bit Twister

No malware is forced to use the resolver(s) configured in the system, which makes DNS manipulation utterly pointless for mitigating this kind of threat. DNS manipulation also doesn't prevent infections in the first place, so even if you could prevent malware from phoning home via DNS manipulation (which you can't) your systems would still be hosed.

Never EVER rely on this kind of pointless pseudo-security. You could just as well paint your computers with chicken blood. That's about as effective.

cu

59cobalt
Reply to

Well, those "script kiddies" managed to get parts of the networks of Britsh, French and German military offline. ;)

That's a different attack vector. Harder to exploit, because it's a passive attack. Stuff like that usually works best for targeted attacks.

cu

59cobalt
Reply to

Your response is exactly what I was expecting, therefore contains no information.

Reply to
Poutnik

Don't worry, I did't expect you to understand it.

Everyone else will find the relevant information in that part of my posting which you chose not to quote.

cu

59cobalt
Reply to

What about privacy? Its HQ is in the US, no? That Patriot Act is still in effect, isn't it?

Also:

| We are affiliated with a variety of businesses and work closely with | them in order to provide our services to users. We will only share | personal information with affiliates to the extent that is necessary for | such affiliates to provide the services. For example, when a website | visitor searches on OpenDNS, the IP address and query are shared with | OpenDNS's advertising partners.

But it's free, right?

Reply to
s|b

And that tells us about the idiocracy of those who are responsible for the IT there.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

"s|b" wrote in news:499718e3 snipped-for-privacy@news4us.nl:

Hello little fellow!

Belgian "Al Qaeda Cell" in touch with Architect of Transantlantic Airline Plot:

formatting link

I wonder how the Belgians discovered this plot? Do you think they had to intrude on someone's "privacy"? Moron.

Reply to
Derio

You must be very upset by the comments of the other posters that you start calling me names. I wish I could tell you that it impresses me, but sadly for you, it does not.

Now, how about that Patriot Act eh?

Reply to
s|b

"s|b" wrote in news:49987bc4$1 snipped-for-privacy@news4us.nl:

Upset? Not at all. It is no effort and, indeed, a pleasure to call expand on my initial assessment of you as a moron, to being an infantile, half- witted, sackless piece of human garbage.

Yes, no effort at all.

D
Reply to
Derio

Get lost, dimwit.

*plonk*

cu

59cobalt
Reply to

Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.in-ulm.de:

Tsk, tsk garbagebag (I mean 59cobalt). Try to control yourself now, keep that sissified Germanic psyche of yours under wraps. Because when unveiled, you prove to all that you are not worth the shitty diet you subsist on.

Reply to
Derio

Sticks and stones...

Reply to
s|b

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.