nvidia firewall - nforce4 mother board

Do any of you have experience using (or trying to use) the built in nvidia firewall on the nforce4 motherboard (which is supposed to be in hardware for the most part) ?

Do you recommend it or not ? (Any installation or software troubles or good sources of info ?)

I like "Kerio" a lot - the only reason I would switch is to increase the processing power by letting the built in firewall handle things instead of the processor.

It seems the firewall and rules can only be adjusted by the administrator of the PC, not by other people that are "authorized" by the administrator.

The interface is not intuitive and the "manuals" and help files are not comprehensive.

I think it also made Internet explorer crash some times and I found many comments on the web that said the firewall had flaws even though I'm not sure if it is just a pain for mortals to setup or oif it doesn't work at all..

I haven't downloaded any later versions of the firewall yet, just installed from CD ..

BTW I have a Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe nForce4 SLI motherboard

Reply to
Maxx Taxx
Loading thread data ...

I have the no frills version ASUS A8N-SLI board. The original nVidia firewall on the ASUS installation CD was ridiculously difficult to configure. It kept me from downloading the weekly program guide from Gemstar for my ATI AIW TV card.

I just installed nvidia's latest drivers (nForce4_amd_6.66_winxp2k_international.exe) The configuration is much better. Windows XP security centre recognizes it and warns you to have only one firewall active. Like ZoneAlarm, it intercepts outgoing traffic, identifies the application and asks if you wish to allow it.

Unfortunately, it crashes my computer whenever I try to access the Internet. Total blue screen of death. Any help would be appreciated. I'm going to try using the nVidia drivers posted on the ASUS site. Let you know how this works.

Also, the other nVidia Drivers seem to th> Do any of you have experience using (or trying to use) the built in nvidia

Reply to
Michael.DeAbreu

OOPS - What I thought was a bug is actually a feature! From ASUS FAQS at

formatting link
Why is there a "safely remove hardware" icon at right-hand side of taskbar after I installed nForce Chipset Driver in Windows2000/XP? My hard disk is ST380013AS.

Because Nvidia nForce4 SLI chipset can support SATA 2.0 which means that A8N-SLI Series also support Hot-Plug. If your SATA Hard disk do support Hot-Plug, you can Hot-Plug your hard disk like a usb storage device. But only port SATA1/2/3/4 will support this feature.

Reply to
Michael.DeAbreu

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.