norton personal firewall blocking shared resources

have had several computers in our organization that, all of a sudden, cannot connect to network shared drives anymore. upon investigation, i found that the problem is the norton personal firewall not allowing it. since i dont know how to deal with it any other way, i uninstall the personal firewall and reconnect the network drives. ive never had this problem with za , mcafee or any other firewall and i cant imagine what security risk there is in allowing a computer to reconnect to a network drive on startup. maybe the answer is to not buy the norton personal firewall.

Reply to
EMERY_BILL
Loading thread data ...

Are you asking a question here or what?

Reply to
Mr. Arnold

The problem with Norton Internet Firewall is that you, "yes you" have to reconfigure it so that it will work an allow several computers to reconnect to a network drive on startup. There's your problem in a nutshell plus you've gone an bought it to-boot. If you know what your doing like me for instance an really, actually know how to configure a network so that they all will be work "internet wise" then you wouldn't have had the problem in the first place. I'm not sticking up for Norton but sometimes you've got too tell it what you want it too do, so that it will work. I know damm well that's annoying but them's the breaks. Some firewalls are not as intelligent as others.........

You live an learn.....

; )

Patrick

"Mr. Arnold"@Arnold.COM.news:myUrh.12907$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net.. EMERY snipped-for-privacy@HOTMAIL.COM

"Mr. Arnold" Wrote annoyed:

I have had several computers in our organization that, all of a sudden, cannot connect to network shared drives anymore. upon investigation, I found that the problem is the Norton personal firewall not allowing it. since I don't know how to deal with it any other way, I uninstalled the personal firewall and reconnected the network drives. I've never had this problem with za , mcafee or any other firewall and I cant imagine what security risk there is in allowing a computer to reconnect to a network drive on startup. maybe the answer is to not buy the Norton personal firewall.....

Reply to
Patrick

well, i "yes i" dont have time to mes with the pos and im not going to. and i "yes I" wouldnt pay 15 cents for it. other people buy it and then i have to figure out why they cant connect to network resources. fyi internet access is not reqireed to acces shared files on a network. and thererore "internet wise" isnt relevant. btw, anyone who would endorse this pos in any way deosnt know anything . yes you thanks for nothing, ill just disable it and use the firewall that's installed with windows or , if the user wants it, install zone alarm.

Patrick wrote:

Arnold"@Arnold.COM.news:myUrh.12907$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net..

Reply to
EMERY_BILL

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.