Hi,

I am fairly new to all of this and am asking for your help in figuring our what protection I need for my home network.

I have a Dell Dimension E310 that I am running wirelessly on a network in my home through Verizon FIOS. Can someone please tell me what is the best configuration for protection? My computer came with McAfee Spamkiller installed, but that complimentary subscription has expired and I don't want to renew it until I know more about what is the best solution. Should I renew with McAfee, and if so, which of their products should I get? Should I also get Adaware?

Please respond to my email as I don't check this group on a regular basis.

Thanks for your help,

Lewis

Reply to
Lewis Angel
Loading thread data ...

I like ZoneAlarm. You can try for free then buy inexpensively. Pretty user friendly too.

DB

Reply to
DB

Your going to need Firewall, Anti-Virus, and Anti-Spyware. You can get them all in ZoneAlarm Security Suite.

DB

Reply to
DB

ZA Security Suite has Wireless protection too.

formatting link
DB

Reply to
DB

And _you're_ going to get hammered by certain regular posters on this forum. I await responses with interest! ;^)

Jim Ford

Reply to
Jim Ford

Sounds like you're already hammered.

If there's something better I should know about, I'm listening. It would have to do all of the above.

Reply to
DB

There are those on this forum that heap scorn on Personal Fire Walls like ZoneAlarm and Commodo, and they're not generally slow in making their opinions known. ZoneAlarm in particular rattles their cages vigorously!

For my part, I use 'Leaf Bering uClibc' on an old Celeron machine for a firewall. There may be little to choose between Leaf and other flavours of iptables based firewalls, but Leaf is very well supported through the emailing list:

formatting link
and use vigilance, AVG and SUPERAntiSpyware for virus and spyware protection.

Jim Ford

Reply to
Jim Ford

Don't be sad. Others like SM or dildos in the shape of carrots.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

What did I tell you, 'DB'? I'm just waiting for 'The Other One'! ;^)

Jim Ford

Reply to
Jim Ford

You're a fortune teller ;-)

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

I can see 'S.G.' and 'A.W.' lurking in my crystal ball! ;^)

Jim Ford

Reply to
Jim Ford

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.