New sSportscasting competitor = ADMINS WORST NIGHTMARE

That's right, there is a new competitor in subscription online broadcasting of sports, which is being talked about in sevreal figure skating discussion boards, including mine.

This new subscription service, at abour $42 per year, at current exchange rates will be a network admins WORST NIGHTMARE. This is becuase of the high amount of bandwidth used, at 992K, and encrypted, too.

And one guy from China has put VERY detailed instructions on at least THREE figure skating boards, including mine, or how to get past ANY firewall to use it. So even the "secure" networks that Leythos touts, might be no match for this new service.

Their servers are in Russia, and its a Russian service, and they broadcast worldwide at

Reply to
Chilly8
Loading thread data ...

It doesn't work, it doesn't matter how you play the game, they can't get to the entry point from any of our networks - it's really that simple.

Nothing they can put up can be reached from our networks, we only allow connections to business approved sites, not some filtered list that allows x category, but hard approved lists.

Reply to
Leythos

Well, as for the guy from China, who put up information on how to circumvent company networks, being that ALL THREE of these figure skating boards are based OUTSIDE the United States, the board admins of ALL THREE boards CANNOT BE PROSECUTED in the United States for allowing the posts the boards. Since the servers are in Canada, England, and Mexico, postings made to the boards are ONLY subject to the laws of the country the board is HOSTED in. All three boards, becuase they are OUTSIDE the United States are NOT SUBJECT to United States laws. Since this POSTER is coming from CHINA (based on the IP logs on MY board), and the three boards he posted on are on servers in England, Mexico,and Canada, his postings are ONLY subject to the laws of Mexico, China, England, and Canada, and are NOT SUBJECT to ANY United States laws.

Reply to
Chilly8

And I suppose you've never read about a person in another country that commits a crime across the internet being arrested in his home country...

Reply to
Leythos

There is a new program that is now advertising on one our competitors in the sports and/or talk show genre, and this program does not require anything to be installed. System Cleaner runs from a single .EXE file, nothing to install. Just insert the floppy or memory stick the program in on into your office PC, and erase all your tracks. You can use tihs on your office PC, and there will be no CLUE that any kind of disk wiping program was ever used. The program is apparently small enough to place on a floppy disk.

Reply to
Chilly8

*sigh*

You're more then welcome to try that, but in a network environment built for security, a number of things will get in your way.

1) Floppies are not available.

2) USB sticks will not install (nor will any other unauthorized device install)

3) Unknown exes won't run.

4) You'll be fired for testing policy #3.

5) Packets address to, or received from unknown servers are simply discarded.
Reply to
DevilsPGD

X-No-Archive: Yes

Well, I am suddenly seeing a dramatic increase in traffic from a major financial services firm in New York. I had 13 connections from their network, at about 11:30 AM Eastern Time. The music programme I run, when not doing like talk or sports programming, has apparently made me a popular at-work station at the major financial services firm.

Also, some workers are figuring out to get Live 365 to work through phpProxy installations. If you use

formatting link
"stationname" is the screen name of the broadcaster, most phpProxy installations will not allow the connection becuase the cookies it tries to send to your machine are blocked. But if you use a traffic analysis tool, and find the IP and port for a direct connection to the stream, that will go through phpProxy without a problem, so a lot of people are obviously listening to me, and other Live 365 stations, via phpProxy installations, using this method. In short, someone who knows how to get the direct connect IP and port can listen to any Live 365 broadcast, from the office, through any phpProxy site, and all the network admins will see is a bunch of jibberish in the record of what URLs were accessed. phpProxy obfuscates the URL, so the precise location of where you went cannot be determined by your network admins.

Reply to
Chilly8

Unless it formats the drive it won't work on most of our systems or laptops.

Reply to
Leythos

They don't need to see the data, only where the connection is too, and that's enough to tell that you're not doing something accepted by company policy.

So, again, on a properly secured network it would not work no matter how many proxy sites you have, and one less secure networks it would stand out like a sore thumb.

Reply to
Leythos

Well, there are literally thousands of such public php-based proxy sites on the Net. That is why 8e6 is developing its appliance to keep up with the rising tide of these proxies. This appliance, running anywhere from $2,500 all the way up to $15,000, depending on how many users you intend to licence it for, is the ONLY firewall of its kind, and is the ONLY appliance ever MADE that can stem the rising tide of phpProxy sites on the net. There are SO many of them, that companies that do NOT use the rather pricey firewall appliance will be forever playing "whack a mole", as more and more web-based proxies come on line. Sure, you can block them when you find out about them, but without this expensive appliance, the phpProxy operators will have the upper hand.

I got a sudden surge in traffic from several phoProxy sites around

10AM Easern time this morning, and it is still going strong. Being that its the workday back home in Australia, I would bet that a lot of workplaces in Australia are tuned in. When the come through a phpProxy site, my web-access records and the Live 365 geostats will only show the address of the proxy. My morning show, aimed at Australian listeners, Wake Up Australia!! often gets a few hits from workplaces in Australia. I do think that people are finally figuring how to access Live 365 stations through phpProxy installations and be able to listen from work.

One problem with phpProxy is that if my station reaches the limit of free listeners, which it did several times today, then they cannot get on. If you have to log in as a VIP listener, than phpProxy will not work, as most phpProxy installations will block the cookies that need to be sent in order to log on to Live 365 with your username and password. The package I use allows a limit of 50 free listeners. Between the listeners coming from this one financial firm, which does not block Live 365 VIP listening, there were 10 free listeners and 3 VIP listeners around 11:30 AM Eastern Daylight Time, coming from the network of this major financial services firm.

I was hitting the maxium free listner limit several times between 11AM and 3PM Eastern Daylight Time, and I usually only hit that when I am doing talk or sports programming. So my music programme is apparently becoming a hit in a number of workplaces all over the world.

Reply to
Chily8

Actually, it's easy to defeat with a CHEAP firewall appliance, and even many SOHO solutions can defeat your proxy crap.

Fact is, as smaller I.T. admins learn how easy it is, and as larger companies learn how much productivity is lost, you're show won't be listened to anywhere except third world countries that don't increase your ratings.

Reply to
Leythos

I dont think that will be much of a concern for my target audience back homeom Australia. While I do pick up lot of American listeners, our target audience, at least with our sports programming I run, is back home in Australia. I don't think much will change in Australian workplaces in the near future as far as filtering practices go. With one proposal in Australia to mandate ISP-level filtering, if the customer desires it, I think that Australian workplaces will rely on the ISP's filter to block what they dont want seen, instead of their own firewalls. So I am really not that worried right now about our target audience back home in Australia not being able to tune in, becuase I don't expect that much to change in Australian workplaces.

There is also the fact that Australian law does not prohibit using a public proxy, such as a phpProxy site, to get around corporate filtering. As long as you do not break someone's password, it is legal in Australia.

With the ISU wanting to charge exobitant fees to TV broadcasters (but apparently not radio) to broadcast figure skating events, we are just about the only outlet on the Net for live skating, and the large number of corporate networks connected during our Friday broadcast of Skate America, seem to reflect that. I just wonder what is going to happen this Friday when we broadcast the next event, from Havana, which starts much earlier in the American workday, as compared to last week.

Reply to
Chily8

And yet, assisting in a crime is still a crime in Oz, and you give methods to break laws and work contracts - so you can be liable.

Reply to
Leythos

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.