Needed: simple incoming IP blocker - recommendations?

Needed for XP machine: a simple incoming IP blocker - any recommendations?

TIA Gummy

Reply to
Tony Martin
Loading thread data ...

The inbuilt firewall in XP sp2/3. By default it blocks all traffic initiated from the internet. Be a little careful, once you turn it on it will allow incoming MSN Messnger traffic, a simple untick on the exceptions tab will fix that.

Wayne McGlinn Brisbane, Oz

Reply to
Wayne

No, XP's built in firewall wont do what I needt. I want to (example) block anything outgoing from my PC to a specific IP/port (like

230.56.67.32 on port 54538) as well as block incoming.

XP only blocks incoming.

ZoneAlarm paid version will do this but I was hoping to find something simpler.

Anyone heard of or had experience with GoldTach???

TIA Gymmy

Reply to
Tony Martin

Your original question is quoted above. "a simple incoming IP blocker" you said. So are we to believe that original question, or are we to believe this follow up for a not-so-simple-anymore per-port per-ip incoming/outgoing IP blocker?

*Any* software firewall you install on your XP system can be defeated by software. If you want security, you are better off doing it a hop removed, on a device that either doesn't have UPnP or has that feature disabled.
Reply to
Walter Roberson

The Windows-Firewall. Simple, works.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

^^^^^^^^

With "outgoing" you mean blocking Sockets, which are initiated from processes running on the machine? Why not just configuring the software on that machine?

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Right, now you've changed your original question to it's total opposite. Try ipsec policies, simple and effective and *free*

formatting link
Wayne

Reply to
Wayne

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.