need software firewall for windows 98se

Does anyone know of a free firewall that still works with windows 98?

Reply to
CdLSRN
Loading thread data ...

formatting link

Reply to
Kayman

Reply to
CdLSRN

"Kayman" suggested:

CdLSRN wrote:

It's highly unlikely, as Win98se has been unsupported for at least a couple of years. Upgrade your OS, either to a newer version of Windows, or one of the alternatives like Ubuntu.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Davies

I use ZoneAlarm ver. 6.1.744.001 on my Win98se.

Don

Reply to
Don/Gen

How about one that isn't free. Is there nothing that is compatible with 98?

Reply to
CdLSRN

See, this is comp.security.misc. We're discussion security. Not good faith, but actual security. With Windows 98 and its lack of privilege separation, with Outlook Express being abused as a newsreader, and questions for a firewall instead of a host-based packet filter, the really competent people here surely consider you as a stupid and naive fool asking a horribly stupid question.

Just in case that you wonder: No, ZoneAlarm is not a firewall. It's a host-based packet filter. A very lousy one. With a lot of known security vulnerabilities, a horribly broken concept, made be a malicious company.

Reply to
Sebastian G.

... although, yours is a (typically) horribly stupid and oafish response.

Reply to
Wilf

Said someone who is too stupid to put a valid mail address in his From header...

Reply to
Sebastian G.

It's for my security. I don't think that's stupid at all. Because I'm afraid that bullying oafs such as yourself may latch on to my email address and abuse it.

Reply to
Wilf

Obviously bullshit.

Why exactly do you think that ignoring a MUST in a RFC is not stupid?

Stupid. You're not supposed to read or even store any mail received in the mailbox. The purpose of it being an actual mailbox is to not generate any errors for the sender.

Reply to
Sebastian G.

Whatever. Bye.

Reply to
Wilf

Well it was very kind of you to respond. Perhaps I am "a stupid and naive fool asking a horribly stupid

security, such as yourself,Sebastian. Are you used to >

Reply to
CdLSRN

Reply to
CdLSRN

I suspect Sebastian is a child having fun. He obviously doesn't know much about "security" or he would just answer questions instead of attacking everyone. God save this Country.

Reply to
CdLSRN

As I already told you: As long as you're insisting on using a trivialliy insecure operation system and as long as you intentionally run trivially insecure client software, you won't be able to secure your machine. Especially not with a host-based packet filter, which, in addition to a secure OS and secure client software, requires intimate knowledge of networking protocols.

Reply to
Sebastian G.

So that I'm regularly reporting security vulnerabilities in largely deployed software products must be a pure coincidence.

You got an answer: Your security approach is horribly futile.

Reply to
Sebastian G.

Reply to
CdLSRN

For Windows 98, usually you don't need packet filtering. Just unbind any network service from your network interface you don't want to have.

Just right-click and delete in the property window for your interface for doing so.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Sincere condolences.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.