need help blocking ports on sonicwall router

I've got a sonicwall TZ170W and need to block a bunch of ports so users on my network can not access nntp usenet newsgroup servers over those ports. So should I be blocking outgoing or incomming? I think outgoing, but just want to make sure. The ports I will be blocking are-

119, 53, 23, 25, 9000, 8000, 3128, 563, 443 I know 25 is smtp for email, so outgoing would be ok to block. 23 outgoing should be ok to block as well. 443 incomming or outgoing I'm not sure since that's https/ssl stuff. 53 is DNS and since i am not running a dns server I'd block incomming right? Just looking for some clarification please. I'd also like to block domains, but don't know how since my ap[pliance doesn't seem to do that for anything but web domains. If I could block the nntp protocol entirely then it should work out better cus then in newsreader apps they can try to connect over port 80 but still be blocked i have heard. Not sure though. For nntp servers that accept connections over port 80 the only thing i can try is to block the range of ips from that usenet server, but how would i find their range of ips they use? newsreader.com is one as well as a couple more servers I'm forgetting right now. So if I know the company, how do i find the ip range they are using for their news servers so I could just block the range?

Thanks guys.

Reply to
ABS
Loading thread data ...

I have to do incomming i guess cus outgoing 119 is blocked, but i am right now on my news server.

Reply to
ABS

I guess i don't know what is what in my router. Need to figure out how to get so any computer on my lan and wireless lan can not access wan and whatever port i say. there's so many options for the sonicwall it's confusing. i guess i have to call them.

Reply to
ABS

I called and figured out what options to select. They told me the new sonicos enhanced firmware for the TZ170W was just released on the 24th so I just upgraded to factory defaults and then configured some stuff. Now I just have to add these rules for blocking and test it.

Reply to
ABS

Most likely outbound will do it.

You block 53 UDP outbound and no machine behind the router will be able to contact the ISP's DNS server to convert url's or domain names to IP(s) and won't be able to connect a site with a browser as an example.

Just block port 119 as I don't think you can block NNTP by protocol.

You might be able to use Arin WhoIs to make that determination of the block of IP(S) being used by the ISP. I took the IP to my ISP's NG server and entered it and it cameback with the list of IP(s).

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

I concur.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Well I figured it out. Orriginally it did not work, block by ip range cus I had the wrong IP. I put in the correct one and it works great. I have blocked a few nsps ip range and telnet port 23 plus NNTP port 119 services too.

Reply to
ABS

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.