Need good/simple/free firewall - older computer

Hi,

I'm looking for a free firewall that will just do the basics - block/all any applications from accessing the internet (check for modified programs), stealth mode on all ports (no response (open/closed) to unsolicited scans), and preferably blocks http-referrer. I don't care about customizations beyond that.

The laptop has a 133mhz pentium and Windows 98SE with 48MB of ram. Most of the free firewalls I've found require a newer processor or more memory.

I tried Kerio, but it keeps crashing the system. I read the system requirements and it says I shoud have 64MB of RAM. (Everything else runs fine on the computer.)

Thanks

Reply to
richard_m919
Loading thread data ...

Zonealarm from

formatting link
runs quite well on older computers. I've used their free version on practically everything.

Pagan

Reply to
Pagan

The older version of 2.1.5 runs fine. I had problems with the later

4.x versions and went back to the older version. It uses a lot less resources than Zone Alarm.

You'll have to search the web to find it but there are a lot of sites that have 2.1.5

Chas.

Reply to
* * Chas

Hi Richard, Take a look at Sygate. I believe it will meet most of your requirements. Requires 32Mb ram and 10 Mb free disk space. This might be helpful.

Unofficial Help:

formatting link
Sygate Forums:
formatting link
Users Guide and Quick Start Guide:
formatting link
Compare SPF Pro and SPF Free (See what's inside each one)
formatting link
d/l
formatting link
Casey

Reply to
Casey

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.