need advice on h/ware firewall

I'm your basic, simple internet surfer.....don't have a network, use a single pc. I've tried most of the freeware firewalls and am currently using McAfee, supplied by my ISP. The program is an anchor dragging my pc down. I'm tired of all the alerts the free programs utilize. I'd like to try the hardware, router type firewall for a change. I've read the NetGear

311-314 is ok. I really don't need all the features of a router, (wouldn't understand them anyway), just the firewall aspect. Any suggestions?
Reply to
Ed Mc
Loading thread data ...

Divert an old PC from the scrap heap and install:

formatting link
It doesn't need a fancy spec, a P100 up will do (even a 486) and doesn't need a HD, it'll run off a floppy.

There are other similar Linux based firewall/router distros that others may recommend.

Jim Ford

Reply to
Jim Ford

Ed Mc after much thought,came up with this jewel in news:2Z-dnTH2Kocn5rHanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

I use a netgear router-works well-pretty easy to setup. Passed all of the firewall checks I found on the web. max Friends don't let fr

Reply to
Maximus the Mad

McAfee Personal firewall? And you've already expercised ruining your system with the other "personal firewall" shit as well? You really have too much time.

As it's supposed to do.

Then why did you install those?

You don't have a clue about networking, yet you want to implement a firewall?

You want a routing firewall that doesn't route?

Reply to
Sebastian G.

A 314 is a simple NAT router, as long as you change the default subnet, change the password, disable UPnP and remote management, and update the firmware, then you're about as safe from unsolicited inbound connections as you can get without owning a real firewall.

With a NAT Router you don't even need the crappy Windows firewall, and you can stop using one on your PC, but you want to maintain quality AV software at all times.

You also want to enable the router logging and learn how to read it so that you can see what is leaving/reaching your PC in case you have malware you don't know about.

Reply to
Leythos

You should just get yourself a router that uses SPI and supplement it with a personal FW/packet filter. The PFW/packet filter will not react that much to the traffic, because the computer no longer has a direct connection to the modem and no direct connection to the Internet anymore. Most inbound traffic that is not solicited traffic is going to be stopped by the router, which is what you want. If want to get the Netgear, then you get it. It's your money, your time and you do with them what you want.

Reply to
Mr. Arnold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.