NDIS user mode I/O driver

I have Sygate firewall and this application (from windows xp) is always downloading from the internet. From several ip adresses and from diferent ports. If i block it in the firewall, it still keeps downloading but the traffic shows under incoming blocked. Outgoing traffic is zero. I did a few searches on the web and i still don't understand exactly what this "NDIS user mode I/O" is for. It's under this path C:\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS \ndisuio.sys

The description of this thing: "Internal Windows driver; performs internal communications tasks within Windows". Well that doesn't help much. The thing is my ISP has a monthly download cap, and this thing is downloading slowly but surely a few megabytes every day. Please, give me some hints how to resolve this problem. TIA.

Reply to
Tiago
Loading thread data ...

I had the same problem as Tiago. Thanks Duane for the solution. Here is some further info on my attack:

I was running my BitTorrent client when I noticed some unknown URL wanting to use LSASS. I told Sygate "no" and then it was asking me whether the same URL could use NDIS I said "no" again. This started to worry me so I looked at the Sygate traffic window and saw that despite being denied, NDIS was still importing traffic.

I then looked at my BitTorrent leeches and found the same URL there. Shortly after another BT URL was trying the same thing.

Clearly what was happening here is that a worm on infected machines is using BitTorrent protocol to find open ports ON REMOTE MACHINES and then using those ports with NDIS to infect further machines.

NASTY!

Reply to
WazzoTheMartian

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.