Multiple Consumers of an Object on the Windows Platform?

I am working this programming contract where multiple consumers of this in house written VB.NET Com compliant dll (old legacy systems/applications on servers and user workstations with applications will be able to instantiate the dll and use the objects, methods and properties of the dll. There will be heavy, heavy traffic to and from this dll 24/7 365.

At this time, my experience with .NET, COM and COM+ DLL(s) are DLL(s) setting on a workstation 2-Teir, 3-Teir with Citrix Terminal Server farm and COM+ server, and .NET Windows Desktop Web application using IIS, .NET Remoting and COM+ and DLL(s) using ASP .NET and C# DLL(s)on IIS.

Because of the multiple consumer user ability of the dll and it not being implemented on a WEB or COM+ server where multiple instances of the dll can be running on those types of servers what are the ramifications of it not being on one of those type of servers? I have heard of an Application Server but have never used one other than IIS and COM+. What are the options here? And I'll tell you I don't think the project manager or project lead knows.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold
Loading thread data ...

A DLL is not running. And COM objects not only are in DLLs. So please describe your problem, perhaps I can help you.

Has it anything to do with security and firewalls?

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Volker Birk wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.uni-ulm.de:

Yes a dll is not running by itself but the COM legacy applications (VB 6 exe's using COM) along with user applications that will be developed for using .NET by LAN and remote user machines over the Internet will be consumers of this dll and the .NET service that will running on the host machine will consume that dll too.

Yes, this is finance billable events that the other applications will call upon this dll to pass and this dll will interface via XML to a 3rd party finance application. So security will be involved here. What I don't know yet.

But my main concern at this time is that this dll is not controlled by a COM+ or Web server that can handle multiple instances of the dll running on the host machine. The dll and the service will not be running on that kind of a server.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Hm... this sounds a little bit confusing. What do you mean with "remote user machines over the Internet will be consumers of this dll"?

Hm... and what is the question?

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Well, as I understand it a little more, all machines will have this dll locally on the them and legacy servers and user workstations will use the dll locally. The dll will not be on a COM + server to control database access to SQL Server so it's really not a multi user application. I'll assume these remote machines will have some kind of VPN connection.

The question is moot now that I see a little more as to how this dll will be implemented in the company.

Thanks

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.